MSU Faculty Led Programs
NOW LAUNCHING OUR VIRTUAL STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITES!
Enhance your academic studies and participate on a Faculty Led program. These are MSU courses specifically designed for experiential learning abroad that generally last from 10 days to 6 weeks. Travel internationally with a faculty member and your peers to earn credit towards your degree at MSU.
MSU Faculty Led Programs
For more information or questions regarding any of the programs listed below, go to the Study Abroad Advising page to view the Drop-In Advising hours.
Spring Break 2022
- Stay tuned for upcoming FLSA opportunities!
- Rural Morocco & Amazigh Culture
- CAA 290R - 3 credits
- May 4x4 (May 10 - June 4)
- Blended teaching format
- One day of in person teaching at the beginning of each week
- Remainder online with synchronous lessons and resources, synchronous engagement activities with Moroccans
- No pre-requisites
- Program fee: $750 (plus tuition)
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The distance engagement program provides students with the opportunity to learn about life in rural Morocco, the Amazigh culture, and community development in the remote regions of the Atlas Mountains and Sahara Desert of Morocco. The program will also serve as an ‘onboarding course’ to prepare students for future international travel. Students will learn about travel preparation, cultural competency, health and safety, and more.
The program’s goals are:
1. Global Connection. Maintain, strengthen and build cultural exchanges and global solidarity.
2. Diversity Awareness. Bring awareness to indigenous peoples, Islamic cultures and marginalized populations.
3. Community Engagement. Provide live discussions and activities with rural Moroccans.
The program is run by Erickson Creative Group LLC (dba Atlas Cultural Adventures, www.atlasculturaladventures.com), a US and Moroccan tour operator and travel agency which provides in-country and virtual community engagement programs in rural Morocco.
The program is partnered with the Atlas Cultural Foundation (www.atlasculturalfoundation.org), a US and Moroccan non-profit organization. This partnership provides participants with unique and intimate engagement access with locals and local community programs.
Faculty Led Program FAQs
These are the most common questions and answers. Keep in mind Faculty Led programs are customized and unique experiences designed by your faculty leader and many of the logistics are variable by program.
Participating on a Faculty Led program allows you to:
- Go Somewhere short-term over winter break, spring break, or during the summer.
- Earn MSU credit abroad and study in an international setting with an MSU faculty member and your peers.
- Study your academic interests in a relevant international context.
- Enhance your resume and broaden your career outlook.
- Pay MSU tuition and faculty led study abroad program-specific fee directly to your MSU Student Account.
- Apply financial aid towards your study abroad program costs.
- Open to both MSU students and non-MSU students who receive approval from the Office of International Programs to participate.
Eligibility requirements vary by program, however the standard requirements are as follows:
- 2.5 GPA
- Dean of Students Disciplinary Clearance
For any additional eligibility requirements such as class standing, language requirements, and pre-requisite courses check the specific program brochure.
Prior to program acceptance, you will be required to participate in an interview with the faculty leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator from the Study Abroad Office.
All costs associated with a Faculty Led Program will be applied to your MSU Student Account and you are required to pay the balance prior to program departure.
- Pay the same MSU tuition and fees as you would if you took a class on campus. MSU summer fees apply.
- Pay a program fee that covers program logistics while abroad including room, board, classroom space, in-country travel and transportation, cultural activities, and international health insurance. Note: Actual items included in program fee vary by program, review the specific program brochure to learn what is included.
- International airfare is generally the responsibility of the student to purchase on their own, as well as other personal expenses.
Don't miss this! As long as you are enrolled as a full-time student (12 credits fall and spring semester, 6 credits summer semester) you are eligible to apply financial aid to your credit-bearing Faculty Led program. Find the financial aid budget on the program brochure.
International health insurance meeting the requirements and standards of the MSU International Travel Policy is included in your Faculty Led program fee. The Study Abroad Office will register you prior to departure and you will receive all insurance documents and policy information via email - easy as that!
Apply online directly to your faculty led program of interest through My Global Connection. To do so, navigate to the specific program brochure and follow the instructions to apply. Current faculty led program opportunities are listed above. Note: Faculty Led application deadlines vary by program.
If you are a faculty member interested in leading a Faculty Led Study Abroad program, please visit the Faculty Led Program Proposal website for more information.