MSU Travel Policy Overview 

 MSU INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL UPDATE: The international travel moratorium for MSU students is extended through SP2022.

CORONAVIRUS (Covid-19): 
CDC Coronavirus information for Travelers can be found here:
** The US Department of State (USDOS) has issued Level 4 "Do Not Travel" Health Advisories for approximately 80% of countries. **
Current detailed information regarding international travel can be found here


The University reserves the right to suspend or prohibit University international travel to any destination at any time if it determines:

    • Health, safety, or security concerns pose unacceptable risks
    • Travelers have violated laws, or regulations, or University policy
    • Other good cause

Travel to Countries Subject to Travel Advisories and Alerts

There is no international travel allowed per OCHE directivefor countries with a CDC Level 4 travel advisory. All University international travel to any country for which a Center for Disease Control and Prevention and/or U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory are Levels 1-3 must be reviewed and approved in advance of travel by the Campus International Travel Safety Review Committee.



International travelers are defined as all students, staff, faculty or other participants (chaperone, high school students, students from other universities, alumni, or other non students) undertaking international travel under the auspices of the university.

This website is designed to support the international engagement of MSU students, faculty and staff in a responsible manner and to follow requirements and procedures outlined in the MSU International Travel Policy. All information applies to the following MSU campuses:

  • MSU Billings
  • MSU Bozeman
  • Great Falls College (MSU)
  • MSU Northern

University international travel means travel outside the United States organized, sponsored, or supported by the University, or a unit thereof, including travel by international travelers (as defined above) for research, teaching, sabbaticals, conferences, study abroad, internships, practica, student teaching, community or university service, or group travel whether accompanied by a faculty member or not, whether offered for credit or not, and travel by registered student organizations, club sports, or athletic teams. Travel supported, at least in part, by sponsored research grants, contracts, F&A funds, or other university administered funds will be considered travel supported by the University.

Note: The MSU International Travel Registry is managed and maintained by the MSU Bozeman Office of International Programs.

Click on MSU International Travel Registry to register your international travel.


Per the MSU International Travel Policy, all University International Travelers embarking on University-sponsored international travel must obtain approval from the head of the university unit/department sponsoring, in part or in whole, the international travel. 



60 DAYS (in advance of travel)

  1. Complete the MSU Travel Authorization and/of Travel Advance Request Form; Submit to your sponsoring department for approval  in advance of travel.

30 DAYS (in advance of travel)

  1. Purchase  GeoBlue International Travel Health Insurance.
  2. Register your travel in the MSU International Travel Registry
  3. Provide verification of registration in the MSU International Travel Registry to sponsoring department.
  4. Schedule: 1. OIP Orientation & 2. Travel Health & Safety Class through University Health Partners (UHP). 
    • Click Here to schedule the Travel Health and Safety class withUHP.
    • Click Here to schedule OIP Orientation.  ** CANCELLED: All OIP Orientation sessions until further notice due to COVID-19.



  • Individual student international travel  approval (non-study abroad) is obtained through sponsoring department & the Office of International Programs.
  • Individual students traveling as part of a Registered Student Organization must also receive approval from the Office of Student Engagement or equivalent office on the relevant campus. Registered Student Organization Travel Form
  • Unaffiliated Travelers not employed by MSU or enrolled as a full or part-time student participating in an MSU international travel program must complete and submit the following forms: Unaffiliated Traveler Approval Form and Unaffiliated Traveler Acknowledgment of Risk Form
  • Students with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the affiliated campus officer responsible for administering the campus program.

Health & Safety Resources

The University recommends that all international travelers who are U.S. citizens register information of their planned travel with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

State Department STEP

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.  STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.


Cancellation & Interruption for Any Reason Insurance (CFAR/IFAR)

MSU recommends that travelers consider purchasing Cancellation & Interruption for Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) insurance for domestic and international trips. While this is not a requirement, CFAR/IFAR insurance can help protect your investment in your trip in the event the trip is cancelled before departing or interrupted during a trip for any reason and, depending on the policy, it could also extend to reasons related to COVID-19. Click here for more information.


 Questions or Comments?

International Travel Compliance - Office of International Programs
+1 (406) 994-4031
[email protected]