Lab Occupancy and Vacating Guidelines
The requirements and responsibilities associated with EHS requirements for occupying and vacating laboratory space on the MSU campus are listed below. These responsibilities are divided between the laboratory user, Safety & Risk Management (SRM), the Office of Research Compliance (ORC) and University Facilities Management. Adherence to these guidelines is necessary to ensure the quality of laboratory facilities on the MSU campus.
- When vacating a laboratory all chemical containers must be removed by the vacating group; either taken to a the new location/owner or coordinated with the SRM Hazardous Materials Manager for removal and disposal. Chemicals cannot be abandoned in place.
- All horizontal surfaces where chemicals have been used or stored, as well as the fronts and sides of cabinets and under lab benches, will be wiped by the vacating group with a soap solution followed by a water rinse. This wipe/rinse procedure should proceed from the highest areas in the room to the lowest.
- ORC Radiation Safety must be notified prior to any radioactive material movement or disposal, and for any pre-vacating monitoring that may be warranted (406-994-7317).
- ORC Biosafety Officer must be notified regarding moving/disposing of biological materials (406-994-6733).
Safety & Risk Management
- SRM Hazardous Materials Manager will work with vacating group to dispose of unwanted chemicals and any generated waste.
- SRM will assist vacating group with clean-up of any areas of chemical contamination.
- SRM will perform contamination surveys for chemicals, if necessary, to ensure space is safe and ready for reassignment.
Office of Research Compliance
- If radioactive or biological material was used in the room, the occupant must notify the Radiation Safety Officer (x7317) and Biosafety Officer (x6733) for clearance.
- It is the Occupant's responsibility to ensure safe and adequate storage of chemicals.
- New occupants must provide a chemical inventory through use of SciShield.
- Laboratory occupants must follow MSU Radiation Safety Procedures, BioSafety protocols and Chemical Safety requirements.
- New occupants must notify SRM and/or University Facilities Management of unsatisfactory conditions within the laboratory as soon as the condition is identified.
- It is the Occupant's responsibility to perform general housekeeping activities within research laboratories.
NOTE: Failure to properly dispose of chemicals and complete appropriate exit surveys may result in Departmental charges.