GPS Base Station
About the GPS Base Station
The MSU GPS Base Station provides real-time corrections to students, researchers, local surveyors and statewide RTK networks. It also provides hourly base files for post-processed corrections via Trimble Pathfinder Office software and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS). Base files can also be downloaded directly from the MSU GPS Base Station receiver or from NGS.
- To provide GPS base station data for determination of accurate location coordinates for field mapping projects
- To provide real-time corrections for survey grade GPS work
- The MSU GPS base station equipment (receiver, antenna and radio antenna) are installed in various locations across the campus of Montana State University-Bozeman
Information about the Fall 2012 MTSU CORS Station Upgrade
- 8/29/2012: RTK radio upgrade completed.
- 8/29/2012: Antenna upgrade completed: new antenna is a Trimble Zephyr Geodetic 2.
- 8/31/2012 - 9/7/2012: Receiver upgrade and configuration completed.
- Base files are available via NGS CORS for mapping grade differential correction in Pathfinder Office.
- The base file position is now referenced to NAD83 (2011). You can view the data sheet by going to http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/CORS/ and entering mtsu for the site ID, then clicking Coordinates.
- NGS will recalculate our base position (ARP), and if it changes, the base position will be updated.
- Radio is now operating in narrowband (12.5 kHz) and transmitting CMR+ corrections.
- NOTE: PLEASE USE THE NEW RTK CORRECTIONS WITH CAUTION -- there is a shift between the new datum (NAD83 (2011)) and the old one (NAD83 (CORS96)) -- if you are working with data that was collected before the upgrade, you will likely need to do an adjustment.
The Leon Johnson Hall Trimble Community Base Station was replaced in 2007 with a Trimble NetRS GPS CORS (Continuously Operating Reference Station). The new equipment supplies much higher accuracy base station files and real-time corrections.
Read more here: http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=4893