Application for Graduate Admission

Thank you for your interest in Montana State University!

Any individual who has received a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university may apply for admission to the Graduate School. The Graduate School provides two application options: an online application and a paper application. Paper applications may be downloaded or are available from the department to which you are applying as well as from the Graduate School. All paper application materials for graduate degree programs must be submitted directly to the department to which you are applying. All paper application materials for non-degree graduate status must be submitted to the Graduate School.

At the time of application, each student is assigned a MSU student identification number. We ask that you voluntarily provide a social security number to help distinguish between individuals with the same or similar names. You will not be penalized should you decline to provide this number. Federal law requires that students applying for financial aid, graduate assistantships, fellowships, traineeships, or tuition waivers must provide their Social Security number for purposes of identification.

Please contact the department you are interested in applying to prior to completing the application. Departmental deadlines vary and some departments may require a preliminary application

For more information on application requirements please see:
Degree Seeking Graduate Students
Non-Degree Graduate Students
International Students

The following applications are for both degree-seeking and non-degree students.

Graduate Online Application
The $60 online application fee may be paid using a credit/debit card or direct payment from a United States checking account at the time the application is submitted.

Graduate Paper Application: PDF or MSWord doc
The $60 paper application fee may be paid by check or money order payable to Montana State University and should be submitted directly to the department if applying to a degree program or to the Graduate School if applying to non-degree graduate status.

Supplemental Application Forms
International Students: Financial Certificate

Please note that viewing and printing the application forms requires Adobe Reader.