- Modern Europe
- Spatial History
- Environmental History
- Ph.D. History, with distinction, Hans Gatzke Prize for Outstanding Dissertation in European History, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 2010
- A.B. History, high honors, Phi Beta Kappa, Robert Golden Medal, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2002
Articles, Edited Volumes and Book Chapters
- “Looking at the Wind: Paintings of the Mistral in Fin-de-Siècle France,” Environmental History, 20, 3 (July 2015): 505-518.
- Editorial Committee. Map: Exploring the World (London: Phaidon Press, 2015).
- “The Cartographic Language of Locality,” in Place and Locality in Modern France, eds. Patrick Young and Philip Whalen (New York: Bloomsbury Press, 2014).
- “The 25th International Conference on the History of Cartography,” Imago Mundi 66, 1 (January 2014): 105-109.
- “A New Kind of European Boundary: Mapping the Language Border between Modern France
and Germany,” Imago Mundi 65, 2 (June 2013): 253-267.
- “Cartography in a Contested European Borderland,” in L'espace rhénan, pôle de savoirs, eds. Catherine Maurer and Astrid Starck-Adler (Strasbourg: Presses Universitaires
de Strasbourg, 2013).
- “Boundary Surveying and Mapping in France,” “Military Mapping in France” and “The
Franco-Prussian War and its Impact on Mapping,” in The History of Cartography. Volume Five: The Nineteenth Century, ed. Roger Kain (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, forthcoming 2017).
- The Mistral: A History of Wind. Book manuscript examining the history of interactions between human beings and the
Mistral wind that blows across southern France and the Mediterranean Sea.