Department Chair and Professor of Religious Studies
- Syro-Palestinian Archaeology
- Histories of religious traditions
- history and cartography of ancient Near Eastern archaeology
- PhD, with distinction, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2000
- A.M. in History, Brown University, Providence, RI, 1991
- A.B. magna cum laude with Honors in History, Brown University, Providence, RI, 1989
Awards, Honors, and Affiliations
- College of Letters and Science Award for Meritorius Research and Creativity, MSU, 2013
- Charles and Nora L. Wiley Faculty Award for Meritorius Research, MSU, 2012
- Short Term Professional Development Grant, Office of the Provost, MSU, 2008.
- Research Enhancement Award, College of Letters and Science, MSU 2008.
- President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, MSU, 2008.
- Cox family Fund Award for Excellence in Research and Teaching, 2007
- Scholarship and Creativity Award, Office of the Vice President for Research, MSU, 2006.
- Harris Grant/Torch Fund Award, American Schools of Oriental Research, 2003, 2006.
- Research Enhancement Award, College of Letters and Science, MSU 2005
- Publications Grant. Archaeological Institute of America, 2005..
- Associate Fellow, W. F. Albright Institute for Archaeological Research, 2002-present.
Archaeological Research and Fieldwork
- Tel Zahara Excavations, Israel Director, 2006 – 2009.
- Gesher Excavations, Israel. Director, 2002 – 2004.
- Member, Governing Board of Trustees, W.F. Albright Institute for Archaeological Research, Jerusalem, 2006 – present.
- American Schools of Oriental Research, 1993 – present.
- Archaeological Institute of America, 2005 – present.
Peripheral concerns: urban development in the Bronze Age southern Levant. New Directions in Anthropological Archaeology, series ed. T. Levy. Sheffield: Equinox (2016) Nominated for the 2016 G. Ernest Wright Award of the American Schools of Oriental Research.
- Interpretative uses and abuses of the Beni Hasan tomb painting. Journal of Near Eastern Studies 74: 19-38. (2015)
2015 Periphery and core: the relationship between the southern Levant and Egypt in the early Middle Bronze Age. Pp. 245-264 in ThereandBackAgain—the Crossroads II:ProceedingsofanInternationalConferenceHeld inPrague,September15–18,2014, edited by J. Mynářová, P. Onderka, and P. Pavúk. Prague: Charles University.
- Mapping the Z-axis: early archaeological engagement with time and space in the ancient Near East. Bulletin of Historical Archaeology 24:1-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.5334/bha.2413 (2014)
- The Southern Levant (Cisjordan) During the Middle Bronze Age. Pp. 445-458 in The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of the Levant. Eds. A. Killebrew and M. Steiner. Oxford: Oxford University. (2014)
Excavations at Tel Zahara (2006-2009): Final Report, The Hellenistic and Roman Strata, ed. S. Cohen. BAR: British Archaeological Reports International Series. (2013)
- Three MB II Burials from Tel Zahara. (With W. Wi?ckowski, Institute of Archaeology,
- University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland). In Material Culture Matters: Essays on the Archaeology of the Southern Levant in Honor of Seymour Gitin. Eds. J. Spencer, A. Brody, and B. Mullins. Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research. (2014)
- Weaponry and Warrior Burials: patterns of disposal and social change in the southern Levant. Pp. 307-319 in The 7th International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, 12-16 April 2010, R. Matthews and J. Curtis, ed. London: The British Museum and University College London. (2012)
- Terracotta Figurines from the 604 B.C.E. Destruction at Ashkelon. In Ashkelon Volume III, Harvard Semitic Museum Publications. Eds. L.E. Stager and D. Master. (2011)
- Cores, Peripheries and Ports of Power: Theories of Canaanite Development in the early Second Millennium B.C.E. Pp. 69-75 in Exploring the Longue Durée: Essays in Honor of Lawrence E. Stager, ed. D. Schloen. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns. (2009)
- Continuities and Discontinuities: A –Re-Examination of the Intermediate Bronze Age – Middle Bronze Age Transition in Palestine. The Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 354: 1-13. (2009)
- The Excavations at the MB IIA Cemetery at Gesher: Final Report. (With Y. Garfinkel, Institute of Archaeology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem). Boston: Annual of the American Schools of Oriental Research 62. (2007)
- Canaanites, Chronology, and Connections: The Relationship of Middle Bronze Age IIA Canaan to Middle Kingdom Egypt. Harvard Semitic Museum Publications, Studies in the History and Archaeology of the Levant, vol. 3, Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns. (2002)