Pacific Northwest University Visit
Mike Riggen from Pacific Northwest University is coming November 8th. There will be a general meeting held from 12-1:00 pm in Leon Johnson 213. If you are interested in an individual meeting please contact the HPA office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastern Washington University Visit
Debra Dickenson from Eastern Washington University PT School is scheduled for an MSU visit on Thursday November 9th at 6:00 pm in Gaines 030.
Pre-Med / Pre-Health Emergency & Wilderness Medicine Course January 2-13, 2018
- Want to get outside of the generic pre-med track? Interested in emergency medicine, humanitarian relief work, wilderness medicine, or global health? Come explore the great outdoors and learn from physicians who work around the world. Build your resume, network, and your travelogue. Academic course credit is now available! The early bird discount ends at the end of this month!
- Join the University of Colorado School of Medicine from January 2-13, 2018 for our course offering undergraduate college students (and recent grads) a hands-on look into the fields of emergency and wilderness medicine. Including ambulance ride-alongs, Emergency Department shadowing, snowshoeing, optional night out in snow cave, suturing, ultrasound, and cardiac dissection labs.
- Deadline to turn in your SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION and to receive the EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT is October 31st. Register now as the class is filling up quickly!
Summer Health Professions Education Program
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a free summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools. These students include, but are not limited to, individuals who identify as African American/Black, American Indian and Alaska Native and Hispanic/Latino, and who are from communities of socioeconomic and educational disadvantage. SHPEP, formerly known as the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), expanded in 2016 to include a broader array of health professions.
All students who meet the Summer Health Professions Education Program eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a college freshman or sophomore at the time of application.
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Not have previously participated in the program.
Application Opens: December 1st
Application Closes: February 15th
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Summer Internship
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Fred Hutch) hosts a summer internship that is designed to provide biomedical research experience and mentorship for undergraduate students of rising senior status. We would appreciate your help promoting the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) among students at Montana State University. I have attached an informational brochure that offers an overview of the program and a brief snapshot of important dates below, including how to apply.
About the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP)
The SURP is an intensive, 9-week internship designed to provide research experience and mentorship for rising-senior undergraduate students who are interested in biomedical research. Under the guidance of a faculty mentor, students will:
- Complete an independent research project;
- Attend weekly research seminars;
- Participate in professional development workshops designed to facilitate the preparation of competitive applications for graduate/medical school; and
- Present their findings at a competitive poster session.
The program will run from Monday, June 11 – Friday, August 10, 2018.
An online application for the 2018 SURP will be available via the SURP website in mid-November 2017.
The application deadline is midnight Pacific Standard Time (PST) on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Letters of recommendation for up to two references are due by midnight Pacific Standard Time (PST) on Friday, January 19, 2018.
Other Biomedical Research Internships
I also wanted to share with you a resource that my colleagues and I developed, which is a catalog of biomedical research internships offered nationwide for high school, undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate, and first-year medical students. Feel free to share this resource with faculty and students.