Certain U.S. Passport applicants may be eligible to renew their U.S. Passport by mail using Form DS-82.
Applicants who do not meet Form DS-82 criteria are required to submit Form DS-11 in person.
U.S. Passport forms are available at the MSU Passport Acceptance Facility, or please visit the U.S. Department of State website for fillable and printable application forms and additional information.
Should you renew your Passport by mail? Yes, if:
- You can submit your most recent full validity U.S. Passport book and/or U.S. Passport Card with the application, and the passport is not damaged or mutilated.
- You were at least 16 years old when the most recent U.S. passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card was issued.
- Your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card was issued less than 15 years ago.
- You use the same name as on the most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or Passport Card OR you have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper original documentation to reflect the name change.
- Applicants renewing by mail will complete Form DS-82.
Should you renew your Passport in person using Form DS-11? Yes, if:
- You were under the age of 16 when your most recent U.S. Passport was issued
- Your most recent U.S. Passport is lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated
- Your most recent U.S. Passport expired more than 5 years ago and/or was not a full validity passport.
- You are using a different name than is listed on the most recent U.S. Passport and do not have proper documentation to reflect the name change.
Children under the age of 16 must renew their passports in person at a passport acceptance facility using a completed Form DS-11.
An original or certified copy of the child’s birth certificate is required as well.
Required documents for renewal of a Passport by mail
- Completed Form DS-82, signed and dated
- Original undamaged U.S. Passport meeting the above requirements
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order if your name has changed
- Fees (check or money order only)
- A recent color photograph. Passport photos may be obtained at the MSU Passport Acceptance Facility for $10.00 each.
Note: In order to protect your application during mailing and processing, DO NOT FOLD the application. Use a mailing method that can be tracked through the United States Postal Service. The MSU Post Office can provide free Priority Mail and Priority Express Mail envelopes, and postage can be purchased at the time of mailing.
The MSU Passport Acceptance Facility can assist you by reviewing your application and documents prior to mailing to make sure that your application process will go smoothly. Use our online appointment system to schedule an appointment at your convenience.