MIE 3D Printer Use Policy
This policy is being set to provide guidance in the use of the three 3-D printers owned by the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department.
All three printers - Stratasys Dorado F170, housed in Barnard Hall room 136, and (2) Mojo printers, housed in Barnard Hall room 134 - were purchased with EFAC money for instructional use in the MIE department. As such, MIE instructional use has priority and is encouraged, while all other users are secondary and will be subject to conditions, as outlines below.
MIE Instructional Use
- Instructional / Educational use for MIE courses is open to all authorized MIE Instructors and students. (For authorization you must certify through Joe Eldring or Keith Fisher.)
- All MIE instructors who desire to use the printers are expected to have basic training in use and care of the respective printer.
- Instructors will only allow students to use the printers with supervision.
- Student models being printed need to be directly tied to that student's coursework.
- Instructors are expected to manage the amount of material per student, or student group, to a 'reasonable level'. No limits will be imposed unless we find that there are excesses.
- Scheduling for MIE course use will be on a first-come-first-served-basis, so if you want to use the printers you will need to let the person(s) in charge of the printers know and get on the schedule.
- Each use must be logged with date, user, course, project, and amount of material used.
- Fees for MIE (EMEC, ETME, and EIND) use will be directed to the course or project (capstone), at department discretion.
All Other Uses
(Research and non-MIE within the University)
- Approval must be obtained prior to printing.
- Scheduling will be on a first-come-first-served-basis, so if you want to use the printers you will need to let the person(s) in charge of the printers know.
- Only persons who have had basic training in use and care of the respective printer will be allowed to use them, and they must demonstrate that they do have such training. If someone wants a print but has not received acceptable training, then they will need to coordinate with the person(s) managing the printer use.
- A use fee m,ay be assessed, so arrangements for payment must be made with MIE accounting prior to use.
For scheduling Printer use:
Begin by accessing the department printer use page: http://www.montana.edu/mie/3d_printer_facilities_documents/3d_printer_labs.html
Persons to contact for use, training, approval and scheduling are currently:
Joe Eldring: email@example.com, 994-3260
Keith Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org, 994-6288