Information for Incoming Students
If you are thinking of taking a language at MSU, classes fill up fast so read this and take action before you come to your MSU orientation!!
What is your case?
"I have never had a course in the language before, or I have studied the language
for less than a year." (see A)
"I have studied the language for one year or more in High School but did not take an AP exam." (see B)
"I took an AP exam in a language in High School." (see C)
"I have taken language classes at another college." (see D)
"I learned a language primarily through non-academic experience while living abroad." (see B)
"I have taken university-level language courses abroad." (see E)
“I am a native or heritage speaker of another language.” (see F)
A. If you have never studied the language before or have studied it for less than a year, go to the Modern Languages main office in Gaines 117. You will just sign a form and we will enroll you in the first semester course. You can also call us at (406) 994-4448 before you come to Bozeman to pre-enroll and then sign the form when you are here.
B. If you have had one year or more of the language in High school or you have learned the language while living abroad, you will likely need to take the CLEP exam in order to enroll in a class.
- Receive from 4 to 11 credits and placement in an appropriate level.
- The CLEP or the AP is required for students with previous experience wishing to take Spanish, but is optional for those with previous experience in French or German.
- There are no placement exams for Arabic, Chinese or Japanese. Please come talk with a Modern Languages advisor. Check here to see a list of advisors.
- Only costs $110 at MSU and is offered through MSU’s Testing Services. Computer-based, multiple-choice format.
- Apply and pay for test at http://clep.collegeboard.org/.
- Schedule a test time with MSU’s Testing Services (Reid 243, 406-994-6984).
- Results are obtained at the completion of the test and are good for one year. If you do not get the score you’d like, you must wait six months to re-take the exam.
- Once you have the results, bring a copy to us (Tracy in Gaines 117, phone: 994-4448, fax: 994-6199) and we will enroll you in the appropriate course. The sooner the better!
C. If you have taken an AP exam in the language, your score will determine how many credits you receive and your course placement as follows:
- AP score of 3: 8 credits and placement in 201
- AP Score of 4: 11 credits and placement in 220
- AP Score of 5: 14 credits and placement in 300-level courses
- Make sure that your results are sent to MSU so that you will receive credit here. Have them sent to the Registrar's Office (101 Montana Hall, Bozeman, MT 59717-6650). If you want further information, you can contact Enrollment Services at (406) 994-6620.
- Talk to Tracy in Gaines 117 (phone: 994-4448 or fax 994-6199) about your score & placement in an MSU class.
D. If you took courses in the language at another college, show us (Gaines 117) or fax us (406-994-6199) a copy of your transcript (it does not need to be official), and we will enroll you in the appropriate course. You can do this from your home. The sooner the better!
E. If you have taken university-level language courses at an institution abroad, two things could happen:
- If your courses were accredited by another university, show us (Gaines 117) or fax us (406-994-6199) a copy of your transcript (it does not need to be official), and we will enroll you in the appropriate course. You can do this from home. The sooner the better!!
- If your courses have not been accredited by another U.S. institution, you will need to either take the CLEP exam (see B) or have your transcript sent to MSU by the foreign institution.
F. Native speakers of a language need to talk to a Modern Languages advisor. Check here to see a list of advisors.