Placement for Incoming Students
If you are thinking of taking a language at MSU, classes fill up fast so read this and take action before you come to your MSU orientation!!
What is your case?
"I have never had a course in the language before, or I have studied the language
for less than a year." (see A)
"I have studied the language for one year or more in High School but did not take an AP exam." (see B)
"I took an AP exam in a language in High School." (see C)
"I have taken language classes at another college." (see D)
"I learned a language primarily through non-academic experience while living abroad." (see B)
"I have taken university-level language courses abroad." (see E)
“I am a native or heritage speaker of another language.” (see F)
A. If you have never studied the language before or have studied it for less than a year, go to the Modern Languages main office in Gaines 117. You will just sign a form and we will enroll you in the first semester course. You can also call us at (406) 994-4448 before you come to Bozeman to pre-enroll and then sign the form when you are here.
B. If you have had one year or more of the language in High school or you have learned the language while living abroad, you will need to take either a WebCAPE exam or the CLEP exam in order to enroll in a class.
- The CLEP, WebCAPE, or AP exam is required for students with previous experience in French, German, or Spanish.
- For Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese there is no CLEP or WebCAPE exam. However, there are AP exams for Chinese and Japanese. Please come talk with a Modern Languages advisor regarding placement in these languages. Check here to see a list of advisors.
WebCAPE exam: Computer Adaptive Placement Exam
- Only for placement; student does not receive credit from this exam.
To take an exam, go to http://www.perpetualworks.com/students/register. The cost is $10 payable by credit card.
Print out your results and bring them to Tracy in Gaines 117 (phone: 994-4448 or fax 994-6199). We’ll discuss your score & placement in an MSU class, as well as get you registered. Scores above 427 require an oral proficiency interview. Students close to the cutoff scores may request an oral proficiency interview to determine whether or not they may be placed in the next higher level course.
CLEP exam: A computer-based test in a multiple-choice format. Maximum of two hours.
- Students can receive between 3 and 9 credits for 101, 102, and 201. This exam is primarily for students who wish to receive credit but do not want to enroll in a language class. However, placement can be based on this exam.
- Costs $110 at MSU and is offered through MSU’s Testing Services (and many other locations / schools listed at the College Board website). Computer-based, multiple-choice format.
- Apply and pay for the test at http://clep.collegeboard.org/.
- Schedule a test time with MSU’s Testing Services (19 Renne Library, 406-994-6984) or at another institution. For a location near you, search by state and city in the "Search Institutions" section at http://clep.collegeboard.org/.
- If you are taking the CLEP at another institution, ask to have your results to be sent to MSU-Bozeman!
- Results are obtained at the completion of the test and are good for one year. If you do not get the score you’d like, you must wait three months to re-take the exam.
- Once you have the results, bring or send a copy to us (Tracy in Gaines 117, phone: 994-4448, fax: 994-6199) and we will enroll you in the appropriate course. The sooner the better!
C. If you have taken an AP exam in the language (offered through the Advanced Placement program at your high school):
- Receive from 3 to 12 credits (up to four MSU classes) and placement in the appropriate
- AP score of 3: credit for 101 and 102 (6 cr.); placement in 201
- AP Score of 4: credit for 101, 102, and 201 (9 cr.); placement in 202
- AP Score of 5: credit for 101, 102, 201, and 202 (12 cr.); placement in 300-level courses
- Make sure that your results are sent to MSU so that you will receive credit here. Have them sent to the Registrar's Office (101 Montana Hall, Bozeman, MT 59717-6650). If you want further information, you can contact Enrollment Services at (406) 994-6620.
- If AP credit has not been processed prior to your registration date, see Tracy in Gaines 117 (phone: 994-4448 or fax 994-6199) with your score for registration.
D. If you took courses in the language at another college, show us (Gaines 117) or fax us (406-994-6199) a copy of your transcript (it does not need to be official), and we will enroll you in the appropriate course. Also make sure to have your other college send your transcript to MSU-Bozeman. You can do this from your home. The sooner the better!
E. If you have taken university-level language courses at an institution abroad, two things could happen:
- If your courses were accredited by another university, show us (Gaines 117) or fax us (406-994-6199) a copy of your transcript (it does not need to be official), and we will enroll you in the appropriate course. You can do this from home. The sooner the better!!
- If your courses have not been accredited by another U.S. institution, you will need to either take the CLEP exam (see B) or have your transcript sent to MSU by the foreign institution.
F. Native speakers of a language need to talk to a Modern Languages advisor. Check here to see a list of advisors.