School of Music Scholarships
The School of Music offers scholarship opportunities to all MSU students, both music majors and non-majors. Music major applications will have preference over non-major applications, however, the School of Music Scholarship Committee does make several awards to non-majors each year. Auditions for scholarship consideration are required of all applicants.
School of Music Scholarships are based upon merit; performance as well as scholastic record. If your need for support is financially based, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Step 1: Fill out the Scholarship Application
Please download and fill out the linked form below. Once complete, send the form to email@example.com. We will get back to you with a conformation email within a week.
The program we recommend to fill out the application is Adobe Reader (download link here), please check your application to make sure to that the information has saved to the form before you email it back to us.
Step 2: Submit a letter of recommendation
Your letter of recommendation should be written by a music professional and address the qualities you possess both musically and personally that make you a good candidate for financial support from the School of Music at Montana State University
Step 3: Audition
Auditions will be held: Saturday, February 25, 2017.
Please sign up for an audition time using the appropriate link below:
If unable to attend, please email a mp3 recording or youtube link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Woodwinds and Brass
- Two-octave major scales in concert keys of E & A flat in 8th notes at 120 bpm. (oboe only one octave of A flat required)
- Full range chromatic scale in quarter notes at 144 bpm
- Two solos or etudes in contrasting styles of length 2-4 minutes each
Must perform on at least 2 of the following
- Snares: published solo (rudimental or orchestral)
- Keyboard: 2 or 4 mallet published solo
- Timpani: published solo that best demonstrates your ability on technique and tuning
- Drumset: demonstrate various styles, as well as chart reading and soloing
- Two solos in contrasting styles
- Piano: D major & d harmonic minor - minimum 2 octaves, hands together ascending and descending
- Sight reading excerpt
- Two memorized art songs in contrasting styles; preferably one in Italian or another foreign language
- Two 3-octave scales; one major, one minor
- One movement of an unaccompanied solo or etude
- One movement from the standard concerto or sonata repertoire
- All applicants are expected to prepare as listed above.
- Professional attire is expected for all auditions.
- Piano accompaniment will be provided for vocalists only.
- Instrumental auditions do not require an accompanist.
- All students may be asked to sight read, clap simple rhythmic patters, and sing a short melody.