School of Music Scholarships
The School of Music offers scholarship opportunities to all MSU students, both music majors and non-majors. Music major applications will have preference over non-major applications, however, the School of Music Scholarship Committee does make several awards to non-majors each year. Auditions for scholarship consideration are required of all applicants.
School of Music Scholarships are based upon merit; performance as well as scholastic record. If your need for support is financially based, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Step 1: Fill out the Scholarship Application
Step 2: Submit a letter of recommendation
Your letter of recommendation should be written by a music professional and address the qualities you possess both musically and personally that make you a good candidate for financial support from the School of Music at Montana State University
Step 3: Audition
Auditions will be held: Saturday, February 25, 2017.
If unable to attend, please email a mp3 recording or youtube link to email@example.com.
Woodwinds and Brass
- Two-octave major scales in concert keys of E & A flat in 8th notes at 120 bpm. (oboe only one octave of A flat required)
- Full range chromatic scale in quarter notes at 144 bpm
- Two solos or etudes in contrasting styles of length 2-4 minutes each
Must perform on at least 2 of the following
- Snares: published solo (rudimental or orchestral)
- Keyboard: 2 or 4 mallet published solo
- Timpani: published solo that best demonstrates your ability on technique and tuning
- Drumset: demonstrate various styles, as well as chart reading and soloing
- Two solos in contrasting styles
- Piano: D major & d harmonic minor - minimum 2 octaves, hands together ascending and descending
- Sight reading excerpt
- Two memorized art songs in contrasting styles; preferably one in Italian or another foreign language
- Two 3-octave scales; one major, one minor
- One movement of an unaccompanied solo or etude
- One movement from the standard concerto or sonata repertoire
- All applicants are expected to prepare as listed above.
- Professional attire is expected for all auditions.
- Piano accompaniment will be provided for vocalists only.
- Instrumental auditions do not require an accompanist.
- All students may be asked to sight read, clap simple rhythmic patters, and sing a short melody.