School of Music Scholarships
The scholarship application/audition process is now closed for the 2018-2019 academic year. Below are the requirements for the previous year. They are for reference only and are subject to change.
Woodwinds and Brass
- Two-octave major scales in concert keys of E & A flat in 8th notes at 120 bpm. (oboe only one octave of A flat required)
- Full range chromatic scale in quarter notes at 144 bpm
- Two solos or etudes in contrasting styles of length 2-4 minutes each
Must perform on at least 2 of the following
- Snares: published solo (rudimental or orchestral)
- Keyboard: 2 or 4 mallet published solo
- Timpani: published solo that best demonstrates your ability on technique and tuning
- Drumset: demonstrate various styles, as well as chart reading and soloing
Piano and Guitar
- Two solos in contrasting styles
- Piano: D major & d harmonic minor - minimum 2 octaves, hands together ascending and descending
- Sight reading excerpt
- Two memorized art songs in contrasting styles; preferably one in Italian or another foreign language
- Two 3-octave scales; one major, one minor
- One movement of an unaccompanied solo or etude
- One movement from the standard concerto or sonata repertoire
- All applicants are expected to prepare as listed above.
- Professional attire is expected for all auditions.
- Piano accompaniment will be provided for vocalists only.
- Instrumental auditions do not require an accompanist.
- All students may be asked to sight read, clap simple rhythmic patterns, and sing a short melody.