Unified Communications Project
MSU Phone System Upgrade to VoIP
The Unified Communications (UC) project replaces MSU's existing telephone system with a new system using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). This technology will allow telephone calls (aka "voice data") to be routed over the same network MSU already uses for data. The migration of campus phones will take place throughout 2019/2020.
- One network to support for network and data.
- Departments able to move their own phones to new locations (without need to make a request)
- Enhanced functionality of voicemail, conferencing, contact center, etc.
- Reduction of annual system maintenance costs ~$100,000
- Reductions of physical plant expenditure costs ~ $35,000
VoIP Migration Schedule
Migration of phones to the new system will be carried out one building at a time and take place throughout 2020. Building occupants will be notified prior to the move.
Note: All migrations begin at 8 AM unless otherwise indicated.
Please contact Joseph Van Court at email@example.com. or
--------------- 2020 ---------------
June 30 Taylor Hall
June 30 Tietz Hall
July 1 KUSM
July 1 VCB/ Black Box
July 7 Fieldhouse
Timeline and dates for remaining buildings will be updated in the coming months.
Frequently Asked Questions
VoIP Phone Guides
Cisco IP Phone quick start guides include phone diagram and basic task instructions.
Find phone model number:
Press the Applications button on your phone, then select Phone information. The model number will be displayed.
- 7841 Quick Reference - this is most common model at MSU
- 8800 series Quick Start
Cisco Unity Connection is the name of our new voicemail system.
- About Cisco Unity voicemail
- Cisco voicemail web access
Log in with NetID and NetID password
Two recommended headsets compatible with Cisco IP phones:
- High End - Plantronics Savi 8200 Series W8220 Headset ~$350
- Low End: Plantronics Encore Pro 510 Headset - ~$100