Unified Communications Project
MSU Phone System Upgrade to VoIP
The Unified Communications (UC) project replaces MSU's existing telephone system with a new system using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). This technology will allow telephone calls (aka "voice data") to be routed over the same network MSU already uses for data. The migration of campus phones will take place throughout 2019.
- One network to support for network and data.
- Departments able to move their own phones to new locations (without need to make a request)
- Enhanced functionality of voicemail, conferencing, contact center, etc.
- Reduction of annual system maintenance costs ~$100,000
- Reductions of physical plant expenditure costs ~ $35,000
VoIP Migration Schedule
Migration of phones to the new system will be carried out one building at a time and take place throughout 2019. Building occupants will be notified prior to the move.
Note: All migrations begin at 4 PM unless otherwise indicated.
Please contact Adam Edelman at 406-994-5091 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dec 27 Roberts - 8 AM
--------------- 2019 ---------------
Jan 3 Colbeigh ~175 phones
Jan 15 Library
Jan 22 Stadium - 8 AM
Feb 5 Faculty Court, Optec, Molecular Beam, Kellogg, - 8 AM
Feb 7 Facilities - 1 PM
Feb 14 Gaines Hall - 8 PM
Feb 21 Mus of Rockies - 8 AM
Mar 5 UPD - Huffman
Mar 12 SUB - 8 AM
Mar 19 SUB - 8 AM
Mar 28 SUB - 8 AM
Apr 2 Marsh Lab & Farm - 1 PM
Apr 4 Gallatin College East
Apr 9 CFT 2
May 21 Wilson
Jun 4 Chem/Biochem
Jun 18 Leon Johnson
Jul 2 Jabs
Jul 16 Linfield
Jul 30 Animal Bio
Aug 13 Swingle
TBD Reid Hall
Dates will added as they are confirmed.
Frequently Asked Questions
VoIP Phone Guides
Cisco IP Phone quick start guides include phone diagram and basic task instructions.
Find phone model number:
Press the Applications button on your phone, then select Phone information. The model number will be displayed.
- 7841 Quick Reference - this is most common model at MSU
- 8800 series Quick Start
Cisco Unity Connection is the name of our new voicemail system.
- About Cisco Unity voicemail
- Cisco voicemail web access
Log in with NetID and NetID password
Two recommended headsets compatible with Cisco IP phones:
- High End - Plantronics Savi 8200 Series W8220 Headset ~$350
- Low End: Plantronics Encore Pro 510 Headset - ~$100