A young woman assists two boys with a question on the computer.

Teaching Licensure/Endorsement

Embark on a new career in elementary or secondary education by taking additional teaching courses and completing the field placement needed to attain teacher licensure.

Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure – Post Baccalaureate Certification

In the Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure program at Montana State, students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree in a certain field other than education are able to undergo coursework and the field experience required to obtain a teaching licensure within the state of Montana. After working directly with the MSU Office of Field Placement & Licensure, candidates design a plan of study that fill in the remaining coursework required for educators. Once completed, the Office of Field Placement and Licensure will submit a recommendation for a teaching license to the Montana Office of Public Instruction.






An illustration of a thumb pointed upwards.

Work-Life Balance
Livability has previously ranked Bozeman as one of its Best Places to Live four years in a row, including the #1 best place to live in Montana, calling the city a "tech-savvy, economically vibrant, highly educated city on the grow" with year-round natural attractions.

An illustration of a graduation cap.

CPED Member
The College of Education, Health & Human Development is a proud member of the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate.

An illustration of a guide post, its signs pointing in opposite directions.

Adventure Awaits
LendEDU has ranked MSU #1 in Outdoor Recreation, due to its proximity to world-class skiing, blue-ribbon rivers for fishing and seemingly endless hiking opportunities, as well as access to rental equipment from the ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program.




Fund Your Education

The Graduate School at Montana State is dedicated to helping students secure funding during their time at MSU. Some resources the Department of Education and the Graduate School offer includes:

 Additionally, the Teaching Licensure program is eligible for financial aid. For more information, please reach out to the Department of Education for details.

Licensure/Endorsement Assessment

For those individuals who already hold a bachelor's degree who wish to obtain a teaching license or added endorsement recommendation through the MSU Placement and Licensure Office, the first step is to complete a self-assessment using our Licensure Endorsement Assessment Tool (LEAT) form. To obtain that form, reach out to the Field Placement & Licensure office to start the process.






Admissions Requirements

Each program within the Graduate School at Montana State has its own particular requirements for admission, and the Teaching Licensure program is not different. To ensure that you start your application on the right foot, please review the admissions requirements for the Teaching LIcensure program. This includes any additional deadlines that the Department of Education may have aside from the Graduate School, which does practice rolling admissions.