The Submission Checklist below is a shorter version of all of the formatting rules, listing the most commonly seen formatting mistakes. You will be required to complete all of the checklist steps before you submit a draft to the Submission Portal.
Review the checklist items alongside the Standard Option Sample Pages or Manuscript Option Sample Pages. If you have questions about any of the checklist items, visit our "How Do I...?" or Formatting Help & Advisor webpages.
All items in Submission Checklist must be completed before uploading a draft.
- Margins are at least 1" on each side. No text, figures, or tables extended into the
- Page numbers are set 1" from the top; the page following the Copyright page is the
first to get a page number (starts with ii). The body of your text (Chapter One) starts
on page 1.
- Title page: Has your full name (including full middle name). Your name on the Copyright
page should match.
- Title page: Has the date of your ETD submission deadline (may be different from graduation
month or defense date).
- Dedication page (optional): The text is single spaced.
- Acknowledgements page (optional) Text is double spaced and does not exceed one page.
- Table of Contents / List of Tables / List of Figures: Titles are wrapped ¾ of the
way to the page number (see the yellow note on the top of pg. iii of the Sample Pages)
- Table of Contents / List of Tables / List of Figures: It says “TABLE OF CONTENTS/TABLES/FIGURES
CONTINUED” at the top of subsequent pages.
- Abstract: Your abstract is less than 350 words.
- All front matter pages have correct title spacing: no additional space above the title; triple spacing below the title.
- The chapter titles are in all caps.
- Accessibility: You have addressed accessibility tasks, such as using Styles for headings, adding alt text for each figure and each table.
- You have reviewed the differences between Double spaces and Triple spaces (video tutorial)
and ensure that you do not have Quadruple spaces.
- There is no extra spacing between paragraphs.
- All landscape pages have the page numbers are rotated to the right side of the page.
- Each chapter starts on a new page.
- Your figure and table formatting looks perfect: you have triple spacing above and below figures and tables (and their captions) separating them from paragraph text; you are NOT embedding figures or tables into your paragraph text; every figure and table has an appropriate title and caption that is in the same font, font size, and font color as the rest of your document.
- There is a cumulative References Cited section at the end of the ETD.
- If you do not have an appendix, then REFERENCES CITED is listed at the top of the
page with references listed after. If you do have an appendix, then REFERENCES CITED
is on its own divider page.
- Each appendix page has its own divider page.
Manuscript Option (If Applicable)
- All Manuscript Option chapters start with the Contributions of Authors and Co-Authors
and Manuscript Information pages, which are also listed in the Table of Contents.
- Chapters using the manuscript option may optionally use a different formatting style, but page numbers and page margins are consistent with the rest of the document.