• Question: How do I enroll my child in 4-H?
  • Answer:

    The best way to enroll your child is to come into the Extension Office. That way you can pay dues, pick projects, buy your project workbooks, and get all of the other materials you may need.  We will also connect you with a club that will work with your schedule and project selections.  If you have already contacted a club leader, they may also be able to provide you enrollment forms and catalogs.

  • Question: How many clubs are in the Flathead County? Are there any in my area?
  • Answer:

    We currently have 22 active 4-H clubs in Flathead County.  Please call the Extension Office and we will provide you with contact information for the club options in your neighborhood or project area. 

  • Question: How old does a child have to be to join 4-H?
  • Answer:

    The 4-H year runs from October through September each year.  To be a member, a child must be 8 years old by October 1st of the current 4-H year.  To be a Clover Bud, members must be 5 years old by October 1st of the current 4-H year.

  • Question: What is a Cloverbud?
  • Answer:

    Clover Bud members are aged 5 to 7 years old.  Their program is designed to be educational and non-competitive in nature.  Clover Buds are not able to participate in 4-H animal related programs.  Focuses include arts and crafts, food and nutrition, and many other activities.

  • Question: How much does it cost to join 4-H?
  • Answer:

    4-H member dues are $22.50 per 4-H year.  For members choosing to particpate in a horse project, an additional fee of $5.00 is assessed.  An addtional fee of $5.00 is also assessed if a member chooses to participate in a market livestock project. An additional fee of $5.00 is also assessed if a member chooses to to participate in a meat rabbit or meat poultry project. Cloverbud and Leader dues are $10.00 a year.  Project manuals range in price from $5.00-$10.00 and last up to three program years.

  • Question: Do you have to own an animal to be in 4-H?
  • Answer:

    Absolutely not!  There is a huge number of non-animal related projects that 4-H offers to its members.  These projects include photography, small engine repair, electricity, cooking, cowboy poetry, sport fishing, wildlife and entomology among many others.  4-H also has projects for small animals including gerbils, hamsters, rats, cats and dogs.  A catalog of all 4-H projects can be obtained by contacting our office.

  • Question: Can I, as a parent, enroll as a 4-H Leader?
  • Answer:

    We encourage parents to take an active part in 4-H and it's many activities.  You can be a leader at the club or the county-wide level.  Parents find 4-H to be a great volunteer activity and a rewarding way to spend time with their children.

  • Question: Do I have to have a child in 4-H to be a Leader?
  • Answer:

    We also encourage members of our community to take part in 4-H and share their knowledge and expertise with our members.  You can be a leader at the club or county-wide level.  Leaders must be 21 years old to be a 4-H Leader.

  • Question: Is participation in the Northwest Montana Fair required?
  • Answer:

    Participation at the Northwest Montana Fair is optional to all 4-H members and Clover Buds.  It's a great way to showcase 4-H to the public and a whole lot of fun!


  • Question: Where is the Extension Office located?
  • Answer:

    We are located at 1108 South Main Street Suite 4 in Kalispell.  On the corner of Main Street and 11th Street in a White and Brick building upstairs.

  • Question: What are your hours of operation?
  • Answer:

    We are open 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.  Our staff travels in and out of the office.  Appointments may occasionally require the office to be closed during a lunch hour of 1:00-2:00 pm.

Master Gardener

  • Question: How do I sign up for a Master Gardener Course?
  • Answer:

    If you are interested in joining a Master Gardener Course, please call the Extension Office and we will place you on our contact list for the next upcoming program. Generally, Level 1 Master Gardener Programming is held annually and begins in January or February and is a 16 hour course.  Class fees and times vary. Montana Master Gardener Books are also available for purchase at any time with the Exension Office for a cost of $50.

Private Applicator Training

  • Question: How can I obtain a Private Pesticide Applicators License?
  • Answer:

    Anyone who is interested in obtaining a Private Applicators License is encouraged to purchase a study guide for the required exam. The study guides are available in the Extension Office for a fee of $20.  When an applicant feels that he or she is prepared please call the Extension Office and schedule a test time with Patricia McGlynn, our Ag Agent.  If the applicant passes the exam they can obtain a license for $50 (checks made payable to the Montana Department of Agriculture).  Those who have never taken the exam will be allowed to use their study guides during the test; those who have allowed their license to lapse and are re-taking the exam must do so without their notes.

    Commercial License can be obtained by contacting Kima Traynham at 257-9015.

Weed Seed Free Forage Certification

  • Question: How can I get my hay or straw certified as Weed Seed Free?
  • Answer:

    Please call the Extension office for the contact information for the Hay Certification Coordinator, to inspect your field.  Due to time constraints, please make an attempt to give her several days notice.  Hay must still be standing during inspection.  Cost to certify a field is $4.50 per acre.  If a producer would like twine, please let certifier know how many boxes you will need in advance.  Cost for twine is $50 per box and can process approximately 26 tons.  If the field is large, please be sure to furnish the certifier with a way to access the entire field.