1. My grandkids were dropped off at my house last night by the police as my daughter got arrested. What do I do now?
    A: Call the Montana Kinship Navigator Program a program of Montana State University Extension at (833) 445-3395 and speak with the Kinship Navigator for Montana. She can assist you in finding resources and services to help you. You might also want to access this fact sheet for information Kinship Caregivers Raising Relative Children: Navigating the Resources.
  2. I have heard about the “Granny Grants” how do I get one?
    A: “Granny Grants” are available to any kin who have stepped in to raise a relative’s child. The grants are through the Montana Office of Public Assistance and a program called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. These particular funds are based on the child’s income – not the family. To find out if the child you are caring for qualifies go to Temporary Assistance for Needy Children or Call the Public Assistance Helpline-1(888)706-1535.
  3. I have been parenting my nephew. How do I enroll him in school?
    A: Even if you do not have formal custody for your nephew, if he is living with you and you are responsible for him, you can enroll him in school. See the information in the fact sheet Kinship Caregivers Raising Relative Children: Navigating the Resources (or contact the Montana Kinship Navigator Program for information.
  4. My sister’s kids have been living with me for the past six months as she is trying to get clean from drugs. How can I access their immunization records as I am not their mother?
    A: If you are caring for the children fulltime you can access their medical records and seek medical attention. See the information in the fact sheet Kinship Caregivers Raising Relative Children: Navigating the Resources or contact the Montana Kinship Navigator Program for information. 
  5. How common is it for grandparents to be raising their grandchildren?
    A: Although grandparents and other relatives have historically stepped in to raise other family members’ children, this family structure has increased. Approximately 2.5 million grandparents are responsible for their grandchildren and of these about one third are raising the children without the involvement of the children’s parents. See Grandfamilies - Generations United for more information.
  6.  I need support in raising these kids, they are acting up and not listening to me.
    A: Children who are raised by relatives other than their parents have typically experienced a family crisis. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the children to have social and behavioral problems. The Montana Kinship Navigator Program offers Active Parenting and Parenting a Second Time Around, two parenting series to assist relative caregivers. These are offered on-line from the convenience of your own home. The program also has virtual support groups, fact sheets on parenting, and they may be able to connect you to virtual counseling. Contact them at (833) 445-3395.
  7. What are the laws related to grandparents raising their grandchildren?
    A: Laws vary from state to state. A website Grandfamilies.org list laws