Plant Pathology Resources
Physiological leafspots on winter wheat. Field study conducted in Bozeman. Photo by Uta McKelvy. Larger image (473KB)
This page contains research-based plant pathology resources. Information is categorized into 6 primary sections, which can be found in the page contents.
We collaborate with agricultural professionals to develop and deliver unbiased, research-based information on field crop diseases and their management.
Under each heading on this page is a list of links that relate to the title of the section. There is also a selection of embedded Extension Plant Pathology videos toward the bottom of the page.
Please direct field crop pathology-related inquiries, questions, and comments to Uta McKelvy.
- Plant Diseases and Management
- Production Guides
- Plant Pathology Tools
- Useful Links
- Extension Plant Pathology on YouTube
This section contains resources for plant diseases, including how to manage and identify crop issues. There are sub-sections for both small grains and pulse crops.
- Small Grain Root and Crown Diseases (MontGuide)
- Picture Guide to Root and Crown Diseases of Cereal Crops in Montana
- Fungal, Bacterial, and Physiological Leaf Diseases of Cereal Crops (MontGuide)
- Picture Guide to Foliar Diseases of Cereal Crops in Montana
- Fusarium Head Blight (Scab) of Wheat and Barley (MontGuide)
- Picture Guide to Head Diseases of Wheat and Barley in Montana
- Cereal Viruses of Importance in Montana (MontGuide)
- Wheat Streak Mosaic FAQs (MSU Extension Fact Sheet)
- Mite-Transmitted Virus Disease Complex of Wheat in the Great Plains of the United States (regional Extension publication published by University of Nebraska Extension Publications)
- Management of Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus in Cereals Requires Integrated Pest Management
- Pathogenic Nematodes of Wheat and Barley (MontGuide)
- Wheat Disease Identification (2MB PDF)
- This publication contains images, brief descriptions, and management recommendations of diseases affecting head, grain, leaves, lower stems, roots, and rare and emerging diseases of wheat. To learn more about wheat disease identification and management strategies contact MSU Extension specialist Uta McKelvy.
- Diseases of Cool Season Legumes (MSU Extension Publication)
This section contains resources for fungicides, including information on use and prevention, seed treatments, and foliar fungicides. Visit the Extension Pesticide Education Program to learn more about fungicide safety.
Fungicide Use and Resistance Prevention
- Fungicide Use in Field Crops: Classification, Risks, Use and Economics (MontGuide)
- Fungicide Use in Field Crops: Benefits and Risks
- Small Grain Seed Treatment Guide (MontGuide)
- 2022 Fungicides Seed Treatments Registered for Disease Control in Pea, Lentil, and Chickpea
- 2023 Foliar Fungicide Efficacy Ratings for Wheat Disease Management
- 2022 Foliar Fungicides Registered for Disease Control in Pea, Lentil, and Chickpea
Production guides for Montana wheat, barley, and chickpea, along with a pulse crop math game.
- Montana Wheat Production Guide (MSU Extension Publication)
- Montana Barley Production Guide (MSU Extension Publication)
- Montana Cool Season Pulse Production Guide (MSU Extension Publication)
- Chickpea Production (MontGuide)
Tools to assess Montana wheat crop issues. Links may lead away from this MSU website, but they provide additional information that is consistent with field crop pathology.
- AWaRe: Assessment of Wheat Streak Mosaic Risk
- AWaRe is an interactive, online learning tool that demonstrates the most important risk factors for wheat streak mosaic disease in Montana and the Northern Great Plains.
- Fungicide Decision Tool
- This tool is intended to assist growers in making a decision about whether to apply fungicide to dryland wheat in Montana
More useful field crop pathology resources. Links may lead away from this website.
- High Plains IPM Guide
- The High Integrated Pest Management Guide is intended to provide current effective management options for plant pathogens, for insect and other arthropod pests, and for weeds affecting all major field crops grown in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, and Western Nebraska.
- Images of Diseases and Pests
- Crop Protection Network
- The Crop Protection Network (CPN) produces unbiased, collaborative outputs on important issues affecting field crops in the United States and Canada. The CPN is a product of Land Grant Universities.
- Grow: Plant Health Exchange
- Grow is a place for plant health management professionals to exchange knowledge and discover the latest applied research. Access this collection of resources produced to enhance professional knowledge, increase profitability, and improve sustainability of plant production. Grow is an outreach service of The American Phytopathological Society.
- MyFields (formerly iWheat)
- ScabSmart website
- The ScabSmart website provides key management information for each small grain class affected by Fusarium Head Blight (FHB = Scab) in the U.S. The website is intended as a quick guide to the integrated strategies that result in optimum reduction in FHB and the primary associated mycotoxin (DON).
- Cereal Rust Laboratory
- Francis the Farmer (Animated Video on Vimeo)
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbant Assay Video (private Vimeo video, use password: plantvirus)
Selecting a title will expand the page to reveal a YouTube player and video summary, clicking the title a second time will again collapse the section, but does not stop the video. Stay up to date with the latest IPM video releases by subscribing to the MSU Extension YouTube channel.
Pulse crop production has dramatically increased within the state of Montana in the last few years, and so has root rot cases in these crops. Learn what causes root rot issues to arise and what you can do to take control of your fields.
There is yellow wheat during this third week of March, 2020. Some causes include the environment and disease. This video discusses some common samples that have come into the clinic and the economics of fungicide applications.
Presented by Mary Burrows, from the Schutter Diagnostic Lab.
This video discusses establishing plots to determine the efficacy of seed treatment fungicides for management of root rot in lentil. We talk about the symptoms of root rot, how we inoculate and design plots, and what results we expect from this trial.
Presented by Mary Burrows, from the Schutter Diagnostic Lab.
Check back often, because new content is regularly created. Use the links below to explore more of this website. Please direct field crop pathology-related inquiries, questions, and comments to Uta McKelvy.