Dean's Student Travel Fund
The Dean’s Student Travel Fund program provides grants for undergraduates and graduate students to present original research, papers, or posters at professional and academic conferences.
Eligibility & Award Stipulations
- These awards are available to undergraduate and graduate students with majors within the College of Letters & Science.
- Students may apply for an award of up to $1000 to present papers or posters at a conference. Eligible expenses include airfare, lodging, mileage and conference registration fees. Please be aware that the College cannot fund students who will only attend a conference and not present.
- Students cannot use these awards for trips to complete or shadow research.
- Please remember that the College won't approve applications until a few weeks into
each semester, so plan accordingly and have a backup plan in case you are not selected
Students must submit the following packet to [email protected].
- Contact information, including full name, major, phone number, email address, number of credits completed and GPA. Students should include this information in a cover sheet.
- Summary of opportunity you are applying to: Research topic, location, name and conference dates.
- A short budget to include estimated registration, travel and lodging
- Essay component (300-400 words): Please describe how this award will advance your research or professional goals.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member speaking to student potential and
specific research opportunities. Please reach out to a faculty member as soon as possible to give them adequate time
to write your recommendation letter. Faculty members can send the recommendation letter
directly to [email protected].
Fall Application Period
This period covers opportunities occurring between July 1 and December 31. Fall application becomes available on the first day of each Fall semester. Any travel occurring between July 1 and notification of award will be considered for retroactive reimbursement.
Spring Application Period
This covers opportunities occurring between January 1 and June 30. Spring application becomes available on the first day of each Spring semester. Any travel occurring between January 1 and notification of award will be considered for retroactive reimbursement.
2023-2024 Academic Year Deadlines
Fall 2023: Travel between July 1 and December 31, 2023
- Application available on August 23, 2023.
- Deadline to submit an application is Thursday, September 14, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.
Spring 2024: Travel between January 1 and June 30, 2024
- Application available on January 17, 2024.
- Deadline to submit an application is Thursday, February 8, 2024, at 5:00 p.m.
Students will work with their home department on spending their awards. Award recipients are encouraged to attend and participate in the College of Letters & Science Annual Awards Ceremony at the end of the academic year.