The University owns certain trademarks and trade names and this is how we protect our assets. The university trademark and licensing policy helps us monitor the presentation of designs, protect our trademarks, and receive the appropriate compensation for their usage.

  • Montana State University
  • Montana State
  • MSU
  • Mountains & Minds
  • Bobcats
  • Cats
  • Fighting Bobcats
  • Champ
  • Brawl of the Wild
  • Go Gats
  • Gold Rush
  • Trout U

A product is generally subject to royalty fees if a University Trademark is utilized and the product is available to the general public.

No, but a student group may request an exemption from paying royalties if the item being produced is for internal use (ie. not for sale to the general public). Requests for exemption must be submitted in writing to Licensing Director, University Communications.

Yes, students must submit a proposed t-shirt design to University Licensing director for approval. All outside vendors must be approved to use the trademarks even if you are producing it for a university-affiliated group.

Work directly with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). If you have a new product idea you can submit a New Product inquiry form. They can also guide you through the process of submitting an application to become a licensee. Visit the CLC website and click the "downloads" button for an application.

Approved vendors can be found using CLC's licensee search:

  • Search vendors by choosing a specific product in the Pick a Product Category box.
  • Select Montana State University in the Pick a School drop down menu. Skip the product selection and only input the university to view all licensed vendors.

Vendors who have an Internal Only indication next to their listing cannot be used for external use merchandise.

Julie Kipfer
Licensing Director, Montana State University
PO Box 172220
Bozeman, MT 59717

Tel: (406) 994-5737
Fax: 406-994-4102
[email protected]