Why You Should Join
Founded in 1885, Tau Beta Pi is the nation's oldest and largest engineering honor society. If you have received an invitation to join Tau Beta Pi, congratulations! You are presumed to be a talented engineer or engineering student, and your hard work deserves to be proudly recognized. You have also demonstrated qualities of leadership and service. By becoming a member of an honor society, you join others with similar interests and high achievements. Membership in Tau Beta Pi recognizes exceptional engineers and students who have exemplary character and also offers unique and valuable opportunities. There are many valid reasons to join this highly regarded organization with its thousands of distinguished members.
Student Benefits of Tau Beta Pi Membership
Tau Beta Pi seeks to broaden the collegiate experience of its members, thereby enhancing
the engineering educational experience. Interests in non-technical fields, civic responsibility,
and other human and cultural areas are encouraged through the various social and service
activities of the chapters.
Membership in Tau Beta Pi enables close interaction with students of all different engineering disciplines within your school and also provides opportunities to interact with faculty members, many of whom are also Tau Bates.
Tau Beta Pi assists more students than any other engineering organization, awarding more than $300,000 in scholarships and at least $80,000 in fellowships each year. As a member, you will have the opportunity to take advantage of our many excellent programs. Please read on.
- Awards of $2,000 are given to Tau Beta Pi members for full-time engineering study in their senior year.
- Tau Beta Pi awards at least 150 scholarships each year, thanks to the generosity of our alumni.
- Tau Beta Pi awards 35 fellowships, more than half of whom receive $10,000 cash stipends for one year of graduate study.
- The program has awarded more than $5,700,000 in stipends to 80 groups of fellows.
Student Loans & Financial Assistance
- Loans of up to $2,500 are available to members for undergraduate and graduate study and to new members for the amount of the initiation fee.
- Grants are available to student members who would otherwise be without sufficient financial resources to remain in college.
- Through corporate sponsorships, Tau Beta Pi makes it possible for you to put your resume in the hands of recruiters from companies such as Cummins, EMC, International Paper, Raytheon, Sandia National Laboratories, and more.
- Our website includes access to an online job board connecting our members with top engineering companies that seek to hire interns, entry-level engineers, and seasoned alumni. Resumes may be posted anonymously.
- Through a partnership with PPI, Tau Beta Pi members receive a 30 percent a discount on FE and PE test preparation materials and many collegiate Chapters organize free review sessions to prepare for the exam.
- Top Graduate programs demonstrate interest in Tau Beta Pi members by advertising in The BENT and by sending recruiters to our annual career fair.
Leadership Opportunities & Training
- Our Engineering Futures Program uses alumni from industry to present to engineering students interactive seminars on leadership, management, teamwork, problem-solving, and interpersonal and presentation skills.
- The student-led chapters offer various opportunities for members to develop leadership skills by assuming positions as officers.
Community and Campus Service Opportunities
- Most Tau Beta Pi chapters offer scheduled tutoring to underclassmen and assist the schools' administration with important activities such as orientation and honors banquets.
- Promote engineering in the community by sponsoring K-12 competitions and providing simple K-12 classroom demonstrations of engineering principles as part of MindSET, Tau Beta Pi's National K-12 Math & Science Initiative.
Networking and Mentoring Opportunities
- District Conferences bring together students from other chapters and interested alumni.
- Attending the annual Convention is an opportunity for members to have a say in how Tau Beta Pi operates, and meet members and alumni from chapters across the country.
- Tau Beta Pi has a LinkedIn group, a Facebook page, and a blog.
- THE BULLETIN newsletter keeps student members informed about the Association.
- THE BENT quarterly magazine is a powerful voice for the engineering profession and an advocate for recognizing engineering contributions.
- Initiation ceremony and banquet honoring new members.
- Personalized membership certificate and pin for every member as part of a one-time initiation fee.
- Membership into a prestigious honor society regarded for its distinguished alumni. From this alumni list, how many do you recognize?
- Honor cords and stoles may be purchased to wear at graduation.
Exclusive Discounts and Benefits Now and Beyond Graduation
- Tau Beta Pi members may be eligible for a special discount on car insurance thanks to GEICO, which can also help with your renter's, homeowners, condo, motorcycle insurance, and more.
- Membership does not end with graduation. It represents a life-long opportunity for recognition, honor, networking, personal growth, and service to the organization through a variety of volunteer positions. Tau Beta Pi's ONE-TIME INITIATION FEE offers members and their families a lifetime of benefits. Please visit the Member Benefits page for a complete description.
- Join an alumni chapter and continue to stay involved.
For more information visit the main site.