Reaching New Heights: Campus Pride, Community Spirit, and the Symbolic "M"
“May the ‘M’ stand long as a symbol of our loyalty to Montana State and a reminder of what a united class can accomplish.” - Class of 1918 Yearbook
The M was built by hand in the spring of 1916 as a gift from the class of 1918. Standing 250 tall at about 7000 feet, on the west side of Mount Baldy, the M is a beacon to the Gallatin Valley, hailing people to hike to its summit. The M links Montana State University to the Gallatin Valley community and is a treasured resource for community and visitors alike.