University Council Minutes
Wednesday, February 1st, 2017
8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
|Renee Reijo Pera
- Call to Order Interim
Provost Bob Mokwa
- Provost Bob Mokwa called the meeting to order at 8:30 AM.
- Approval of Minutes for January 11th, 2017
- There was a motion, by Michael Babcock, to approve the January 11th, 2017, minutes; Matt Caires seconded the motion. The minutes were approved unanimously.
- University Wide Information/ Announcements
- There were no special announcements made at this time.
- Old Items
- Update to Trademark Policy
Kellie Peterson, Legal Counsel
- The following amendments were made to the Trademark Policy, in order to explore conversations
around making a commemorative beer for the 125th Anniversary, which will be celebrated
on February 16th, 2018.
- 3. The University has entered into an agreement with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) as its exclusive Licensing Agent. CLC negotiates and administers licenses with manufacturers that wish to trade upon the University name and ensure that all uses of the University name are professional, tasteful, of a quality that reflects positively on the institution, and are manufactured under fair labor conditions. CLC ensures that all manufacturers sign a labor code of conduct. Amendment: "For additional information regarding inappropriate uses of Trademarks, contact Communications and Public Affairs."
- 4. Amendment: "The Trademarks of the University will not be used in the promotion of weapons, tobacco, or "recreational" drug products." The University reserves the right to prohibit other uses which it deems inappropriate as being inconsistent with the image and mission of an educational institution.
- 5. Amendment: "Authorization for the use of University Trademarks for the promotion of an alcoholic beverage may only be granted by the President. Any vendor authorized to use the University Trademark for the promotion of alcohol must enter a separate agreement with the University in which the vendor agrees to follow this policy, the requirements of the Alcohol Marketing Guidelines, and any special conditions required by the University."
- ASMSU supported the policy change by approving a Resolution. Others brought concerns ranging from clarification of the sale or use of the beer, as well as the extent to which the policy would be used. After much debate, Dean Kregg Aytes asked if the Council would table the item in order to hear additional public comment. The motion to table the item was approved, with four people abstaining.
- The following amendments were made to the Trademark Policy, in order to explore conversations around making a commemorative beer for the 125th Anniversary, which will be celebrated on February 16th, 2018.
- Update to Trademark Policy
- Public Comment
- Five people from MSU and the community came to voice their public comment regarding the Trademark Policy. From a student to a few people in the drug prevention community, concerns were shared about this policy. One member of the public asked that a "sunset clause" be added so that the policy would go back to enforcing the inability of using the Trademark on alcoholic products after the anniversary is celebrated.
- No updates were shared.
Note: The next University Council meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 1st, 2017.