Spring 2019 Commencement Ceremonies
The Spring 2019 Commencement ceremonies will be held at the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse Arena on Saturday, May 4 2019.
Click here for directions to the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse via Google Maps.
A link to a live stream of the ceremony will be activated on this page on the day of the ceremony.
Please note that Masters and PhD candidates will walk in the ceremony in which their college is being recognized.
Our morning ceremony will begin at 9:00am and end at approximately 11:00am
The processional will begin at 8:40am
Our morning ceremony will celebrate the following colleges:
- College of Agriculture
- Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering
- College of Nursing
- Gallatin College
Our afternoon ceremony will begin at 1:30pm and end at approximately 3:30pm
The processional will begin at 1:10pm
Our afternoon ceremony will celebrate the following colleges:
- College of Arts and Architecture
- Jake Jabs College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education, Health and Human Development
- College of Letters and Science
Undergraduate Graduation Checklist
Graduate Students, please visit The Graduate School’s website for dates & deadlines, graduation applications, and more.
Semester Prior to Graduation
For example, If you are planning to graduate in Spring, do these steps during the Fall semester
This evaluation can be done by logging into the secure area of your MyInfo account and reviewing your DegreeWorks worksheet, found under the Student Services tab.
- Does your DegreeWorks worksheet reflect your academic progress as you would expect (if not contact your advisor)?
- Are all requirements on Degree Works shown as either completed (green check mark) or in progress (blue tilde) or will they be after you register for next semester? (see Example below)
- Will you be able to successfully complete all of the classes remaining for your degree by the end of next semester?
- Will you have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of next semester?
If you answered "yes" to all of these, move on to Step #2: Application
Submit applications to the Registrar's Office for each credential that is to be awarded. Applications must be signed by your advisor and certifying officer.
Note: Some departments will submit applications on students’ behalf. Please contact your home department to find out their process.
- Separate applications are required for each Bachelors degree, Associates degree, and minor being awarded.
- When your application is received, there will be a registration hold put on your account. No action is required from you. The hold will resolve itself upon your degree being awarded in the system by the Registrar’s Office.
- A Graduation Fee of $30 will be charged to your account for eachapplication turned in. This included new applications that are submitted to change
term of graduation. Failure to pay will result in a financial hold being placed on
- An additional fee of $30 will be charged to your account for any In Absentia Registration.
Graduation Application Deadlines
- October 1st for Spring Graduation, submitted the preceding Fall semester
- March 1st for Summer or Fall Graduation, submitted the preceding Spring semester
Associates Degrees and Certificates
- Spring: by December 1st of the preceding Fall semester
- Summer or Fall: by May 1st of the preceding Spring semester
Graduation Application Forms
Distinction Between Second Degree and Second MajorA 2nd Major must meet all departmental requirements for the major. Core completion for one major satisfies Core for all additional majors. Completion of an additional major is indicated on transcripts; diplomas list only the primary major.A 2nd Degree requires 30 additional, unique credits, and nine additional, unique, upper-division credits. Core completion for a first degree satisfies Core for all additional degrees. Additional degrees are indicated on transcripts, and each degree is awarded an individual diploma.
- Visit your advisor to create a Plan in Degree Works.
- Watch for the Registrar’s Office to announce Priority Registration, and register on your designated day based on your approved Degree Works Plan.
- Review final grades after current semester ends, adjust upcoming semester registration accordingly.
- Review academic standing. As stated in the Undergraduate Catalog, "students must have a 2.00 term and cumulative GPA to graduate."
- Review and monitor Degree Works notes section for Registration Audit results, adjust
upcoming semester registration accordingly.
- If a descrepancy is found, please work with your advisor to get it resolved as soon as possible and notify the Office of the Registrar.
- If no discrepancy is found, get ready for Commencement!
Registering In Absentia
A student must be registered at Montana State University the semester of his or her graduation. If the student is not required to take any courses at Montana State University during the final semester, he or she must process an “in absentia” registration and pay a registration fee of $30 before the end of the third week of the semester he or she expects to earn a degree. Arrangements for this registration must be made by the student with the Registrar.
Semester of Graduation
For example, If you are planning to graduate in Spring, do these steps during the Spring semester
Please check your DegreeWorks worksheet for any notes pertinent to your graduation application. You should have one of two graduation audit notes in the Notes Block at the bottom of your DegreeWorks worksheet. Notes should state either:
- Graduation REGISTRATION audit found no discrepancies with your application…., or
- Graduation REGISTRATION audit found a discrepancy…
Note: You may have several notes if you are seeking a combination of credentials (multiple majors, minors, degrees).
IF your notes indicate that the Graduation REGISTRATION audit found no discrepancies… then, at the time of the audit, you were on track to graduate. This is not a guarantee of graduation. You must still complete all of the graduation requirements articulated in your catalog AND you must successfully complete all courses in which you were registered at the time of the audit to ensure graduation. Failure to complete any of the courses you were enrolled in at the time of the audit may jeopardize your graduation eligibility.
IF your note indicates that the Graduation REGISTRATION audit found a discrepancy… then you should contact your advisor or departmental certifying officer immediately to determine what steps need to be taken to ensure your graduation.
IF you have decided to postpone your graduation, please withdraw your Spring/Summer 2018 graduation application. To withdraw your application, submit an e-mail to the appropriate Academic Auditor in the Registrar’s Office or have your department submit one on your behalf stating to withdraw your application for graduation for Spring/Summer 2018.
Note: There will be a Degree Candidate hold on your Degree Works account. This hold requires NO ACTION FROM YOU and will be removed by our office after your degree is awarded.
Grad fair for our Spring 2019 degree candidates is on Thursday, March 28th from 10am - 4pm at the MSU Bookstore
Grad fair is your opportunity to check that everything is in order for you to walk in our commencement ceremony. Stop in to:
- Confirm that your name is listed correctly on our official list of candidates
- Purchase your regalia
If you have completed over 60 credits at MSU as of the end of the Spring 2018 semester (30 credits at Gallatin College), you may qualify for an honors tassel. Honors are granted for a 3.25 cumulative GPA or higher and highest honors are granted for a 3.70 cumulative GPA or higher.
A list is provided to the Bookstore service desk with the names of eligible students. When you purchase your cap and gown you can ask to upgrade to your appropriate tassel.
- Order announcements and other graduation memorabilia
- Participate in the making of the annual "Shoutout Video" by Montana PBS
- And more!
Attention Degree Candidates: Its imperative that all degree candidates RSVP for commencement so that we can plan accordingly. Please RSVP by completing the following form:
Please verify how you would like for your name to appear on your diploma by completing the following form:
Please visit your MyInfo account to update your Mailing Address to where you would like your diploma shipped during the following timeframe:
Attention Fall 2018 Graduates: Diplomas can be expected to be received in MARCH, 2019
- Spring Graduates – Mid-JULY
- Summer Graduates – Mid-OCTOBER
- Fall Graduates – Mid-FEBRUARY
Please submit your questions here.