What You Will Earn
- The MSU Addiction Counseling certificate represents 12 addiction specific coursework credits. These credits may be counted toward the Montana Licensed Addiction Counselor credential.
- Montana State University will award you an addiction counseling certificate upon successful completion of the 12 credits.
Montana State University offers a series of fully online courses for those interested in working in the addiction counseling field. The program, which is available to both Montana and out-of-state residents, provides academic coursework that can be applied toward the State of Montana's Addiction Counselor License. The program is specifically designed to provide the required coursework for the State of Montana licensure requirements; out-of-state students should check their state's general licensing criteria. State licensure also requires additional coursework, clinical internship and a board exam. MSU does not facilitate the internship process.
Learn more about the program in this video.
This program is an academic preparation program that prepares students to become LAC eligible in Montana. Significantly, this is a graduate certificate program not a master's degree program. Students must have a Bachelor degree with a GPA of 3.0 to apply.
Students must earn 12 credits of addictions specific coursework in order to earn the addiction counseling graduate certificate from MSU. State licensure requirements are different, and students may be advised to take additional MSU coursework to meet these requirements. Course work required by the State of Montana licensure depends on your educational background. The MSU Addiction Counseling Certificate provides individual academic advisement and tailors students program of study based on individual student academic backgrounds.
- The MSU Addiction Counseling Program Director can help you with any advisement or prerequisite questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The program is offered through Montana State Online by the MSU College of Education, Health and Human Development.
- To learn more about state licensure, see the State of Montana Licensed Addiction Counselor Program web site.
Requirements for Addiction Counseling Certificate
- Complete the required 12 credits of any addiction specific (AC) graduate courses to receive the MSU Addiction Counseling Certificate.
- Additional classes may be required for the state license and are offered through our program.
For More Information
About the Program
Contact Katey Franklin, Program Director, at email@example.com or (406) 994-5993.
About the Application Process
Contact Sarah Hendrikx, Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 994-7441.