What You Will Earn
- The MSU Addiction Counseling certificate represents 12 addiction specific coursework credits. These credits may be counted toward the Montana Licensed Addiction Counselor credential.
- Montana State University will award you an addiction counseling certificate upon successful completion of the 12 credits.
The addiction counseling certificate program is an online academic preparation program that prepares students to become eligible for licensure in Montana. This program offers all academic graduate course work needed to pursue internship/licensure with the State of Montana. Significantly, this is a graduate certificate program – not a master’s degree program. Students must have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field with a GPA of 3.0 to apply. However, we highly encourage motivated students with a GPA less than 3.0 to contact us to discuss the application process.
Learn more about the program in this video.
Students must earn a minimum of 12 credits in addiction-specific course work in order to earn the addiction counseling certificate from MSU. State licensure requirements are different, and students may be advised to take additional MSU addiction-specific course work to meet the State of Montana requirements.
Prerequisite course work for the State of Montana licensure depends upon on your educational background. The MSU addiction counseling certificate program provides individual academic advisement and tailors a program of study based on individual student academic backgrounds.
- The MSU Addiction Counseling Program Director can help you with any advisement or prerequisite questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The program is offered through Montana State Online by the MSU College of Education, Health and Human Development.
- To learn more about state licensure, see the State of Montana Licensed Addiction Counselor Program web site.
Requirements for Addiction Counseling Certificate
- Complete the required 12 credits of any addiction specific (AC) graduate courses to receive the MSU Addiction Counseling Certificate.
- Additional classes may be required for the state license and are offered through our program
Gainful Employment Disclosure
The Addiction Counseling certificate program is a gainful employment (non-degree certificate) academic program.
For More Information
About the Program
Contact Katey Franklin, Program Director, at email@example.com or (406) 994-3283.
About the Application Process
Contact Hilary Becker, Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org at or (406) 994-2379.