Enterprise Program Management Office
The PMO manages IT investments to maximize value, minimize risk, and ensure transparency.
The PMO answers these questions:
- How much are we spending on IT investments?
- How do we ensure success of our investments?
- How are we deciding where to spend?
- How do I get in line?
The PMO fulfills these functions:
- Intakes requests for solutions and gathers needed information to inform prioritization
- Shepherds requests through the prioritization process
- Manages IT portfolios to ensure strategic alignment and balanced investment
- Manages high-value programs to deliver intended benefits
- Reports performance of IT investments
- Communicates with constituents and stakeholders
- Intake: Request is received by the Program Management Office; initial business case is documented on behalf of the requestor.
- Concept: Problem solution is proposed as an initial Concept with high-level cost, benefit, risk, and alignment information.
- Concept Clearance: Concept is cleared into Discovery for more information, or is expedited to Implementation, or is monitored.
- Discovery: Proposed Solution is further researched and elaborated with detailed cost information.
- Prioritization: Detailed Solutions are evaluated, prioritized, and funded for Planning and Implementation, or returned to Discovery for additional information, or placed on the Inactive list to be monitored for a future opportunity.
- Planning: Approved Solutions are planned and scheduled for implementation.
- Implementation: Planned Solutions are implemented as projects or programs.
- Expedite: Some solutions may be expedited directly to Implementation for reasons such as legal or policy compliance, information security, mandatory requirement, or exigency.
- Evaluate Further: Solutions that are promising but lack sufficient information to approve, prioritize, or fund are returned to Discovery for additional analysis.
- Inactive: Solutions that are not approved to proceed are placed on the Inactive list and are monitored for future opportunity.