Korea Polar Research Institute (KOPRI), Incheon, Korea
The Priscu Lab is collaborating with scientists at the Korea Polar Research Institute
(KOPRI) to conduct research in the McMurdo Dry Valley lakes as part of the MCM LTER
Miye Kwon, a PhD candidate at KOPRI, joined the LTER Limno Team during the 12-13 and
14-15 field seasons and collected samples from selected depths in Lake Fryxell, East
Lake Bonney, West Lake Bonney, and Lake Miers to analyze for patterns of microbial
diversity and community composition, and for isolation of novel bacterial species.
Miye plans to defend her dissertation, titles "A study on microbial ecology in perennially ice-covered lakes of McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctic" in August 2017.
- Kwon, M., M. Kim, C. Takacs-Vesbach, J. Lee, S.G. Hong, S.J. Kim and J.C. Priscu. 2017. Niche specialization of bacteria in permanently ice-covered lakes of the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Environmental Microbiology.
Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
The Priscu Lab has been collaborating with Dr. Yongqin Liu, a scientist at the Institute
of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, China, since
Yongqin worked as part of the Priscu Lab at Montana State University from 2012-2013,
assisted with field work in Barrow, Alaska as part of the Astrobiology of Icy Worlds
project during 2013, and joined the LTER Limno Team during the 13-14 field season.
- Liu, Y., J.C. Priscu, J. Xiong, R. Conrad, T. Vick-Majors, H. Chu and J. Hou. 2016. Salinity drives archaeal distribution patterns in high altitude lake sediments on the Tibetan Plateau. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 92, 2016, fiw033. doi: 10.1093/femsec/fiw033.
- Liu, Y., J.C. Priscu, T. Yao, T.J. Vick-Majors, B. Xu, N. Jiao, P. Santibáñez, S. Huang, N. Wang, M. Greenwood, A.B. Michaud, S. Kang, J. Wang, Q. Gao and Y. Yang. 2016. Bacterial responses to environmental change on the Tibetan Plateau over the past half century. Environmental Microbiology. 18(6):1930-1941. doi: 10.1111/1462-2920.13115.
- Liu, Yongqin, John C. Priscu, Tandong Yao, Trista J. Vick-Majors, Alexander B. Michaud, Nianzhi Jiao, Juzhi Hou, Lide Tian, Anyi Hu, Zhong-Qiang Chen. 2014. A comparison of pelagic, littoral, and riverine bacterial assemblages in Lake Bangongco, Tibetan Plateau. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 89:211-221.
Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB), Berlin, Germany
The Priscu Lab is collaborating with scientists at the Leibniz Institute of Freshwater
Ecology and Inland Fisheries in Berlin, Germany to conduct research in the McMurdo
Dry Valley lakes as part of the MCM LTER project.
Dr. Hans-Peter Grossart, a researcher at IGB, joined the LTER Limno Team during the
11-12 field season and collected samples from the dry valley lakes to study the diversity
and ecological role of aquatic fungi.
- Ferrera, I., H. Sarmento, J.C. Priscu, A. Chiuchiolo, J.M. González and H-P. Grossart. 2017. Diversity and Distribution of Freshwater Aerobic Anoxygenic Phototrophic Bacteria across a Wide Latitudinal Gradient. Frontiers in Microbiology. 8:175. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2017.00175.
- Rojas-Jimenez, K., C. Wurzbacher, E.C. Bourne, A. Chiuchiolo, J.C. Priscu and H-P. Grossart. Cryptomycota and Chytridiomycota dominate the fungal communities in ice-covered lakes of the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. ISME Journal. Submitted.