How to Apply: Travel Grants
What Kinds of Travel do We Fund?
- Travel to academic and professional conferences
- Travel to other professional or academically relevant events in which students will present or co-present original research or creative works
- We do not provide supplemental funding for students conducting research that involves travel, although students wishing to conduct research are encouraged to apply for funding through our research grants process
- We do not provide travel scholarships for study abroad, although students who wish to engage in a significant, independent research project abroad are encouraged to apply through our research grants process
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Students must be presenting or co-presenting original research or creative works in order to be eligible for funding
- Students must provide an abstract or project description of the work that will be presented
- Students must provide proof of acceptance from the conference or event they plan to attend in order to be considered for funding
- Students must obtain approval from a faculty mentor in order to be considered for funding
- Students must be enrolled full-time, at undergraduate status during the time of their travel*
*Part-time students or recent graduates who have an opportunity to present on research conducted as an undergraduate may be considered on a case-by-case basis, and should obtain prior approval from the Program Director. Please contact the USP office for details.
How Do I apply?
- Complete the travel grant application form and submit it to the USP office at least 4-5 weeks in advance of your travel
- Attach a copy of the abstract submitted for your conference/event (if an abstract was not required, please attach a brief description of the work you will be presenting and the venue/format of the presentation), as well as a copy of your formal acceptance notification (applicants must provide proof of acceptance in order to be considered for funding)
- Incomplete applications will not be forwarded for review - please check your materials carefully prior to submission
- If you have any questions or concerns about your application or materials, please contact the USP office
What is the deadline for travel grant applications?
- Applications for travel grants are accepted on a rolling basis. Applications will undergo review, and pending approval during review, funding will be awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis until the travel budget is spent out for each term. Applicants will be notified of their funding status within 1-2 weeks following submission of their application materials.
- To allow adequate lead-time for review and processing, please submit application materials at least 4-5 weeks in advanced of your trip. Earlier submissions are welcome, and may facilitate more timely disbursement of funding.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the application schedule, please contact the USP office.
If awarded a travel grant, how will the funding disbursed?
- To ensure that all departmental approvals are obtained on your travel authorization paperwork, as well as to streamline the approval process, USP will transfer travel grant funding to your home/research department for disbursement. You will need to work with your mentor and department administrative staff to complete a Travel Authorization Form & associated documents prior to your travel.
- Funding can either be released to you as an advance (time permitting), a reimbursement for expenses you have covered personally, or reimbursement to your department for any expenses they have paid on your behalf. Please work with your mentor and department administrative staff to determine the details of your funding disbursement and complete associated documents. Students who receive USP travel grants are expected to abide by all applicable travel policies set forth by MSU and their home/research department.