Spirit of the West
Welcome to the "Spirit of the West" Marching Band at Montana State University! We believe that being a university student is much more than simply attending classes and taking exams. Our campus is vibrant with concerts, athletic events, and a host of activities that will enrich your experience while at MSU. As a member of the marching band you will be at the heart of the university’s commitment to outreach and engagement. You will perform in dozens of events for tens of thousands of people. But perhaps more importantly, you will be joining one of the largest and oldest organizations on campus with a tradition of entertainment and excellence. The marching band is open to all MSU students with high school band experience (or colorguard). We perform at all home Bobcat football games and various other events throughout the semester. A tuition-reduction scholarship is guaranteed to all members who complete the season in good standing.
- 1st year = $1000
- 2nd year = $1300
- 3rd year = $1600
- 4th year (and beyond) = $1900
- Stay in the band for four years = total of $5800
All interested students should pre-register online now! This is our ONLY WAY of contacting you with important updates about joining the band. There is absolutely no obligation to join by pre-registering, and you can remove your name from our list at any time. This information is used to only recruit and inform potential members of the 2015 SotW, and is managed by the director of the band.
Pre-registration for the 2015 "Spirit of the West" Marching Band is now open! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SotW_Prereg_2015
The Spirit of the West is dedicated to your growth as a performing musician. Our mission is to enrich the student life of all of our members through positive production of varied and challenging music, drill, and motion. Of course, we cannot accomplish this without the commitment of our members as well. Please review the following points before arriving on campus. All of our members are held to the same standards of practice, participation, and performance.
- Pre-register online
- Enroll in MUSI 155: “Spirit of the West” Marching Band. This is a graded course.
- Attend pre-semester band camp. Bring closed-toe sneakers, long khaki pants, music flip folder, and sun protection (as well as extra cash for supplies and a meal out). Early dorm move-in is available.
- Complete the member agreement form (available only by pre-registration).
- Contribute to the overall success of the band by attending rehearsals, preparing your part, and putting forth positive enthusiasm and effort during the season.
- Participate in co-curricular performances throughout the year: all home Bobcat football games--including play-off games--as well as multiple other events both on and off campus (with sufficient notice). MSU Football Schedule
- Return uniform and equipment at the conclusion of the season with no more than normal dirt/wear and tear.
- Remain positive and optimistic. It gets cold in Montana. One of the things that makes our band so special is the way we rally for each other despite the weather and the fact that we are very busy people!
We are looking forward to meeting you in the Fall. Until then, please browse our website and contact me with any questions that you may have.
Dr. Nathan Stark
Director of Bands
Montana State University
Visit us on Facebook for photos and videos: https://www.facebook.com/msusotw