What you will earn:

  • Montana State University will award you a Graduate Certificate in Addiction Counseling upon successful completion of at least 12 credits.
  • The MSU Addiction Counseling certificate represents 12 addiction specific coursework credits. These credits may be counted toward the Montana Licensed Addiction Counselor Credential.
    • Please Note: Additional addiction specific classes may be required for the state license and are offered through our program.


The addiction counseling certificate program is an online academic preparation program that prepares students to become eligible for licensure in Montana. This program offers the academic graduate courses needed to pursue internship/licensure in Montana. Please note, this is a graduate certificate program – not a master’s degree program. Students must have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field with a GPA of 3.0 to apply. However, we encourage motivated students with a GPA less than 3.0 to contact us to discuss the application process.

Students must earn a minimum of 12 credits in addiction-specific course work in order to earn the addiction counseling certificate from MSU. State licensure requirements are different, and students may be advised to take additional MSU addiction-specific course work to meet the State of Montana requirements. 

Prerequisite course work for the State of Montana licensure depends upon on your educational background. The MSU addiction counseling certificate program provides individual academic advisement and tailors a program of study based on individual student academic backgrounds. 


Gainful Employment  Disclosure

The Addiction Counseling certificate program is a gainful employment (non-degree certificate) academic program.

Gainful Employment Disclosure information.

For More Information

About the Program Curriculum

Contact Edward Dunbar, Program Director, at [email protected] or (406) 994-3283.

About General Program Information and Application 

Contact Janet Gamble, Program Coordinator, [email protected] or (406) 994-3238.



Explore Further