Faculty Conversations: Our Values About Faculty-Student Relationships
- Monday, December 3, 2018 from 12:00pm to 1:00pm
- Strand Union Building, 233 - view map
Facilitated by faculty and staff from the Relationships Policy Task Force
Universities across the country are revisiting their policies regarding consensual relationships between faculty and students. Join one of these discussions to consider scenarios, listen to your colleagues, and describe your values. Come with an open mind and a willingness to offer suggestions to guide MSU’s policy-making process.
During the workshop, faculty will
- Analyze the power difference between faculty and students that results from the position of authority conferred on the faculty member by the university.
- Articulate community values concerning faculty-student consensual romantic relationships
- Evaluate pros and cons of various types of university policies regarding faculty-student relationships
Members of the Policy Task Force are:
Beth Burroughs, Professor and Department Head, Mathematical Sciences
Matthew Caires, Dean of Students
Tamela Eitle, Vice Provost, Academic Affairs
Amber Halsted, student, ASMSU Senator
Joe Hicks, graduate student, Assistant Teaching Professor
Kellie Peterson, MSU Legal Counsel
Nic Rae, Dean of Letters and Science
Abbie Richards, Associate Professor and Chair of Faculty Senate
Completing this workshop will earn 1 credit towards Center for Faculty Excellence annual membership in the Center.
- Center for Faculty Excellence
Abbie Richards or Kellie Peterson