Integrative Learning Strategies for Community Engagement
- Thursday, January 31, 2019 from 12:00pm to 1:00pm
- Strand Union Building, Room 233 - view map
Thursday, January 31, SUB 233 from 12:00 – 1:00.
Lunch provided. Click here for RSVP
Presented by Jill Davis, Department of English, and Jan Strout, College of Letters and Science
Looking to build authentic relationships between your students and community partners? This workshop will center on cultural competency strategies and skills that are inclusive, and that enhance critical thinking and communication skills. Presenters and participants will share and develop course applications that can be implemented in a variety of MSU disciplines. In this workshop the presenters will
- Explore the benefits of community engagement,
- Demonstrate how community engagement moves from charity to a social justice model of “compassion in action,”
- Deconstruct cultural competency – cognitive, affective, behavioral, and cultural humility - to ensure that self-reflection and effective partnership development occurs, and
- Explain how we and our Community Partners measure success. Attending the workshop allows faculty to achieve the following Center faculty learning outcome
- Creating learning experiences that engage and prepare students with relevant, authentic, and meaningful activities.
Attendees will earn 1 credit towards Center membership and Certificate of Teaching Enhancement
- Center for Faculty Excellence