Bug Buffet Conference: Novel Foods, Sustainability, Innovative Manufacturing Technologies
- Thursday, February 13, 2020 from 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Museum of the Rockies - view map
Academic Conference: Novel Foods, Sustainability, Innovative Manufacturing Technologies. Join the discussion of edible insects with national and global leaders and MSU engineers and food and consumer scientists. Speakers include:
- Sonny Ramaswamy- Fellow of the Entomological Society of America; once focused on insect physiology and natural product toxicology, more recently Director of the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture; now President of the NW Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- Arnold van Huis – Professor Emeritus, tropical entomologist, Wageningen University, The Netherlands; editor in chief of Journal of Insects as Food and Feed; editor and author of books and journal articles, most notable is United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization’s report #171 that had 1 million downloads within 24 hours after its release 13 May 2013. Father of the edible insect industry and research programs in Europe.
- Dennis Oonincx - Research Professor, Animal Science Center, Wageningen University, The Netherlands, insect physiologist who did seminal research on why European and Euro-American food insects of choice are sustainable in their use of land, water, greenhouse gas production and feed efficiency; his research is widely cited in documents on sustainability.
- Andrea Liceaga – Professor of Food Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA. Research areas: bio-active peptides; insect protein hydrolysates and other applications; Sensory evaluation of food and drink.
- Florence Dunkel