Surge Mentor group interview
- Wednesday, March 4, 2020 from 2:30pm to 4:30pm
- Strand Union Building, 168 - view map
The Sophomore Surge is holding group interviews for Surge Mentor applicants. Priority application deadline is March 4th!
The Surge is currently recruiting mentors for the 2020-2021 academic year. Surge Mentors are MSU students in their 2nd year or higher who will be trained, supported, and empowered to shape the futures of the next incoming Freshman class throughout their first year of college in order to Surge students into their sophomore year.
The Sophomore Surge collaborates with University Seminars to partner Surge Mentors within each section of 15-18 students where they:
- Facilitate icebreakers and introduction activities with emphasis on community-building.
- Encourage attendance at campus and community events and engagement opportunities.
- Provide guidance and support in the seminar's curriculum discussion and interaction.
- Support engagement of self-reflection and timely completion of important milestones for the transition to sophomore year.
- Support critical thinking, learning, and understanding in a supportive and collegiate environment.
- Provide general academic support such as how to use D2L, how to read and review course syllabi, and how to use professors' office hours.
- Provide referrals to key MSU services (library, counseling, academic advising, tutoring, career development, learning strategies, etc).
- Receive upper division credit for training and support.
- Receive a stipend.
New in 2020!
MSU's Orientation Leader program and the Sophomore Surge are piloting an exciting new initiative on campus! Applicants now have the option of working as BOTH an Orientation Leader in Summer 2020 and a Surge Mentor in Fall 2020 in order to provide seamless support of new students beginning with Orientation/Course Registration and continuing through the whole freshman year!
For more information and to apply visit http://www.montana.edu/sophomoresurge/ or stop by 217 Renne Library.