MSU's Library building closed to patron visits, staff available to support patrons online
- Friday, March 20, 2020 to Saturday, May 9, 2020
In order to respect social distancing and to help protect public health, the Renne Library building is closed to patron visits until further notice. During this time of uncertainty, MSU Library is available to support students, faculty and staff in an online environment.
Below you will find information and links to help with off-site access.
The most reliable way to access library resources remotely is to start your search at the library's homepage.
- Begin by looking for resources in CatSearch or by going to a specific database using links on the library's website. These links are configured to automatically ask authorized users to login using their NetID and passwords.
- This webpage provides an overview on how to access library resources while off campus.
- If you are having trouble using our online resources from off-campus, please review our troubleshooting tips for resolving common issues.
Library employees are available to answer research and reference questions. The Ask the Library page provides numerous ways to get in touch with the library.
- Online chat services are available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Librarians are available for WebEx appointments between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Click here to sign up for an appointment
- Questions can be submitted via the online contact form –we will try to respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
- Users may call the Service Desk at 406-994-3139 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Text Us at 406-962-0756 – we will try to respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
Request book and audio-visual materials loans.
- MSU Library will continue loaning materials from the circulating collection to MSU affiliated users.
- To request a loan within CatSearch, select “Place Hold” in an item’s record. You will have the option to pick the item up curbside at the library or we can mail it to you.
Return physical Items, due dates, and fines
- The book drop at the front doors of the library building will remain in place, and we will be accepting returns of physical items there. Returned items will be quarantined.
- You may also mail your items back to the library:
U.S. Mail: Montana State University Library, P.O. box 173320, Bozeman, MT 59717-3320.
UPS or FedEx: Montana State University Library, 144 Renne Library, Centennial Mall, Bozeman, MT 59717-3320.
Due dates for many items are being extended and we will be waiving overdue fines that accrue for items specifically due during this period (including items requested via Interlibrary Loan) for the duration of the building closure.
- Physical inter-library loan is suspended.
- Electronic inter-library loan article delivery will continue. https://www.lib.montana.edu/request/
MSU Library Special Collections
- Special Collections has switched to an online-only service mode.
- All requests for service can be directed to [email protected] or 406-994-4242.
- Business hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Information to assist with faculty and student access to library resources during the transition to online learning
The library will post new information as it becomes available. Visit the Library Service Updates page to find out the latest.