"Savage Ancient Seas" Exhibit Opens Today
- Saturday, January 23, 2021 from 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Museum of the Rockies - view map
Museum of the Rockies presents the new changing exhibit Savage Ancient Seas on display from January 23 to May 2, 2021.
Dive into an ancient underwater world of 70 million years ago when carnivorous fish and giant sea reptiles swam a vast, shallow sea spanning North America. See more than 30 prehistoric marine skeletons, many on display for the first time in Montana! While dinosaurs ruled the land, these strange, spectacular creatures ruled the sea.
Exhibit highlights include:
- A 45-foot-long Tylosaurus, the largest mosasaur skeleton ever found in North America.
- The largest turtle that ever lived, Archelon, an enormous sea turtle with a 17-foot flipper span.
- Flying reptiles the size of hang-gliders: Pteranodon, fly overhead with wingspans over 11 feet.
- The vicious and large "X-fish", Xiphactinus, the biggest bony fish of the Cretaceous Period.
The Savage Ancient Seas changing exhibit is included with admission. Learn about the museum's visitation policies and hours of operation to plan your visit.
- Museum of the Rockies