Special Access in Quizzes
Managing users (typically Instructor role) can set Special Access parameters for quizzes in Brightspace, and release the adjusted settings to individual or multiple users.
Applying "Special Access" enables allowances for different needs of learners. Adjustments can be made to the quiz Start, End, and Due dates; the "Recommended Time Limit" and "Enforced Time Limit" timing settings; and the number of attempts allowed.
"Types of Access" include two choices: "Allow selected users special access to this quiz" and "Allow only users with special access to see this quiz" selections.
"Special Access" settings are created and enabled via the "Restrictions" tab when editing a quiz.
To adjust settings for a quiz, the user must Edit the quiz.
- In a Brightspace course.
- Select "Quizzes" link on the course navigation bar.
- Select the caret icon associated with the quiz to be edited and select "Edit" from
the contextual menu.
- Note: selecting the quiz title link will also bring the user into the "Edit" area
When editing a quiz, "Special Access" is located at the bottom of the "Restrictions" tab .
When in the "Edit Quiz" area, "Restrictions" tab gives access to set "Special Access" and adjust other quiz settings:
- "Edit Quiz -" indicates the quiz being edited.
- Click on the "Restrictions" tab to make it active.
- Due Date and Availability properties can be adjusted as necessary.
- "Hide from Users" checkbox is available
- Due, Start, and End dates can be independently selected or not selected
- Release Conditions can be placed on the quiz.
- Optional Advanced Restrictions can be implemented.
- Timing of the quiz and related behaviors can be adjusted.
- "Recommended" and "Enforced" are two different approaches to quiz deployment
- Special Access is available to apply different settings on various properties related to quiz set-up.
When changes are made on the "Special Access Properties" page, the changes apply only to users who are selected from the "Users" area and apply only after the page is saved.
Multiple "Special Access" variations can be created and will remain in use until removed.
Under the "Special Access > Type of Access" area, the "Allow only users with special access to see this quiz" selection will make the quiz not visible to all users except those selected when the "Add Special Access" button is selected and users are added.
On the quiz "Restrictions" tab, scroll down to the "Special Access" area.
Select the "Add Users to Special Access" button.
At the top of the Special Access Properties page are the Due Date and Availability properties.
In the example below:
The Start Date of the quiz has been set to April 12, 2020 at midnight as opposed to the original Start date for the quiz on April 14, at midnight to facilitate early access to the quiz.
In the middle of the "Special Access Properties" page, the "Timing" and "Attempts" properties display.
In this example:
- The "Enforced Time Limit" is selected to allow adjustment.
- The "Time Limit" has been increased from 120 minutes to 240 minutes.
- The "Grace Period" has been adjusted to reflect a change from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.
- The "Attempts" have been adjusted to reflect '2' attempts as opposed to the '1' attempt
specified in the original quiz set up.
- Attempts uses a drop menu and "Apply" button to make the adjustment
The "Users" area is located towards the bottom of the page.
Select checkboxes correlating to names of course participants to include them in the Special Access set up:
- Check the name(s) of the learners to which the Special Access properties will apply.
- Select the blue "Add Special Access" button.
Selecting checkboxes associated with users and then selecting the "Add Special Access" button enables the "Special Access" properties that have been set up.
After the "Special Access" properties have been applied, the detail of the properties that have been applied to the user(s) is made visible under the "Special Access" area of the quiz "Restrictions" page.
- the pencil icon allows the user to go back into the settings and further adjust
- the 'X' icon deletes the learner and from Special Access consideration
Select "Save" or "Save and Close" to make the "Special Access" set up hold.
On the "Manage Quizzes" page, a quiz with "Special Access" applied displays a "key" icon.
Instructor can navigate to the quiz "Restrictions" page to view the learners and related properties that have been applied.
Brightspace resources are available from D2L.
Brightspace Help tutorials related to Quizzes:
Local support documentation pointing to D2L Help resources:
Links will open in a new tab or window dependent on browser/OS configuration.
What dialog boxes look like and how dialog boxes and browsers interact is dependent upon the operating system and browser being used. The screenshots in this tutorial may differ from the screen that the user is viewing when performing the actions described.