Bridges to the Baccalaureate
"Bridges" is a summer enrichment program for students from Montana's two-year colleges. The program helps tribal college and community college students prepare to transfer into biomedical and other health science fields at MSU-Bozeman. Participants spend eight weeks at the MSU-Bozeman campus gaining hands-on experience in biomedical/health science research alongside dedicated faculty and their research teams. The partner two-year colleges on the Bridges program are Aaniiih Nakoda College, Gallatin College-MSU, Great Falls College-MSU, and Little Bighorn College.
Bridges is coordinated through the Empower Center, and is funded by the National Institutes of Health (www.nih.gov).
The program’s goals are to:
- Build a seamless educational experience between two-year community and tribal colleges and MSU-Bozeman.
- Increase the number of American Indian and other underrepresented minority students, and low-income/first-generation college students who successfully transfer from two-year colleges to MSU-Bozeman in the field of biomedical science, which is the application of science and technology to improve public health and medicine.
Program benefits include:
- Work in world-class research labs and earn $5,000 for the eight-week internship.
- Housing is provided on campus, and participants will recieve a 1,500 housing & food allowance.
- Students are reimbursed for their round-trip mileage to/from Bozeman. (The program will cover bus transportation for students who do not bring a vehicle.)
- Students who bring their own vehicles are provided free campus parking passes for the summer.
- Preparation and practice in laboratory research methodology daily, and individualized math instruction to help prepare students for success in the biomedical science field.
- Students present their research at an MSU-Bridges research celebration at the conclusion of the program.
- Transfer preparation, professional development, and student mentoring are provided throughout the summer.
The 2023 Bridges to the Baccalaureate ("Bridges") program runs from MAY 21 (student arrival day) through JULY 14, 2021.
Applicants may submit the online application below. Alternatively, the application can be downloaded, printed, and mailed to the address below.
NOTE: If you choose to submit the Online Application, you still need to submit TWO (2) letters of recommendation and a Personal Essay. Please see the "Print Application" (pgs. 5-7) below for detailed directions on submitting your personal essay and recommendation letters. Links to the 2023-24 applications will be available by April 05.
- Online Application Link
- Print Application - download, print and mail to this address:
Montana State University
American Indian Research Opportunities
PO Box 173820
Bozeman, MT 59717-3820
ATTN: Bridges Program
Application deadline is Sunday April 30th, 2023.