Bridges to the Baccalaureate
"Bridges" is a summer enrichment program for students from Montana's two-year colleges. The program helps tribal college and community college students prepare to transfer into biomedical and other health science fields at MSU-Bozeman. Participants spend eight weeks at the MSU-Bozeman campus gaining hands-on experience in biomedical/health science research alongside dedicated faculty and their research teams. The partner two-year colleges on the Bridges program are Aaniiih Nakoda College, Gallatin College-MSU, Great Falls College-MSU, and Little Bighorn College.
Bridges is coordinated through the American Indian Research Opportunities (AIRO) consortium, and is funded by the National Institutes of Health (www.nih.gov).
The program’s goals are to:
- Build a seamless educational experience between two-year community and tribal colleges and MSU-Bozeman.
- Increase the number of American Indian and other underrepresented minority students, and low-income/first-generation college students who successfully transfer from two-year colleges to MSU-Bozeman in the field of biomedical science, which is the application of science and technology to improve public health and medicine.
Program benefits include:
- Work in world-class research labs and earn $3,600 for the eight-week internship.
- Housing and meals are provided on campus.
- Students are reimbursed for their round-trip mileage to/from Bozeman. (The program will cover bus transportation for students who do not bring a vehicle.)
- Students who bring their own vehicles are provided free campus parking passes for the summer.
- Preparation and practice in laboratory research methodology and daily, individualized math instruction help prepare students for success in the biomedical science field.
- Students present their research at an MSU-Bridges research celebration at the conclusion of the program.
- Transfer preparation, professional development training, and student mentoring are provided throughout the summer.
The dates of the 2021 Bridges to the Baccalaureate ("Bridges") program are MAY 8 (student arrival day) to JULY 2, 2021.
Applicants may submit the online application below. Alternatively, the application can be downloaded, printed, and mailed to the address below.
NOTE: If you choose to submit the Online Application, you still need to submit TWO (2) letters of recommendation and a Personal Essay. Please see the "Print Application" (pgs. 5-7) below for detailed directions on submitting your personal essay and recommendation letters.
Montana State University
American Indian Research Opportunities
PO Box 173820
Bozeman, MT 59717-3820
ATTN: Bridges Program
Application deadline is FEBRUARY 26, 2021.