State Horse Show
2022 Montana 4-H State Horse Show
September 9-11, 2022 at The Cottonwood Equine Center, Joliet, MT
The Montana 4-H State Horse Show is an opportunity for 4-H horse project members to test their skills alongside their peers from across the state in an educational and enjoyable competitive contest. Classes are offered to include nearly every aspect of the 4-H horse project as well as nearly every skill level of rider. Youth, ages 9-19 years old, may enter and compete based on the qualifying guidelines of their county.
Registration Deadline: September 6, 2022
Location: Cottonwood Equine Center, 11CC Lane, Joliet, MT - https://cottonwoodequinecenter.com/
Questions about the event details, registration, or issues with Fair Entry? Contact Montana 4-H staff: 406.994.3501 or email Emma Tracy at [email protected].
The State Horse Show Schedule is subject to change.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE 2022 MONTANA 4-H STATE HORSE SHOW
We will be posting the schedule, rules shortly.
Entry Cost: $75 per contestant (15% discount for 4-H’ers who participated in Horse Judging or Hippology Contests at Congress)
Required Forms: There are 3 required forms for exhibitors and horses which may be printed
- Media Release Form (for each exhibitor) .pdf
- Medical Form (for each exhibitor) .pdf
- Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (for each horse) .pdf
***You must bring these completed forms to Check-In or email in advance to [email protected] in order to compete. Horses without a valid CVI will not be allowed on the premises***
Camping or stall questions, please email Elisa Henry at [email protected]/ Spots and stalls are available on a first come first serve basis and can be selected during registration.
- Stall Outdoor Covered or Uncovered: $15 per day*
- Indoor Stall: $25 per day*
- 24 RV hookups with water and electricity: $25 per day
- Dry camping is also available
*We will be collecting a $100 deposit for stalls (cash or check) upon arrival, the deposit will be returned once the stall has been cleaned and checked out at the end of the show.*
Important Rule Changes and Announcements for 2022 Montana 4-H State Horse Show
- All Level 1 riders will be allowed to use two hands
- All Level 1 riders will be allowed to use approved bits regardless of the age of the horse. Please refer to the Montana 4-H Horse Program : Bit Rules and Equipment Guide for approved tack http://montana4h.org/projects/animal_science/horse_docs/Updated%20Bit%20Guide%206_4_2019.pdf
- **New Classes for 2022** we will be offering Mini horse classes for Trail and Jumper in Hand as well as Level 1 Driving in hand. In order to enter either of these classes you need to be currently enrolled in the Mini Horse or Driving Self Determined Project
- This year we will be dividing all Rail and Trail classes by Level rather than age. If a certain Level has a wide range of ages, it will be at the discretion of the State Horse Show committee to split a class into further divisions
- Showmanship classes will still be divided by 4-H age, participants who wish to compete in Showmanship with a Mini Horse will be included with all other contestants
- We will be hosting a costume contest for all participants this year. Please consider registering for this fun event.
- Special Announcements for Level 7 Horsemanship classes
- We will NOT be allowing costumes this year for the Horsemanship classes, please consider entering the separate costume contest to show off your creative ability
- Please submit your written pattern and music when you check in
- Freestyle Reining contestants do not need to submit their patterns, but they do need to submit music upon check in
- We will be verifying all registrations with county agents to confirm participants have registered for the correct classes
- Western Horsemanship Level 7 will now require 2 consecutive spins. Riders may elect to do more than 2.
Saturday Night BBQ: One BBQ ticket will be included with each exhibitor entry, additional BBQ tickets can be purchased when registration or by emailing Elisa Henry [email protected]
How to Enter Classes in Fair Entry
1.Login Fair Entry, if it is your first time you will need to create a new login
2. Classes are separated by divisions (Western, English, Showmanship, Equitation, etc.). There are also specific classes for Colt-to-Maturity/Green Horse projects (Western, English, etc.).
NOTE: You MUST select entries for specific classes (use the ADD ENTRY button) or your registration will not be processed.
Room blocks have been set up at one hotel in Laurel, ask for "Montana State 4-H Horse Show" for room block discount.
Best Western Yellowstone Crossing: 205 SE 4th St. Laurel, MT, Phone: 406-628-6888. Rate $159.00 + tax. Reserve by August 29, 2022 and to reserve a room please us the link below to reserve a room.
Big Horn Resort: 1801 Majestic Ln Billings, MT, Phone: 406-545-3542.
Locomotive Inn: 310 S. 1st Ave. Laurel, MT, Phone: 406-628-8281.
- Log in: you will need to click "Create a FairEntry Account"
- Register exhibitor(s) and horse(s) for various classes
- Submit online payment or mail check
Are you new to Fair Entry or do you have questions? Check out the Fair Entry help guides to get started.
If you have additional questions or need other help with registration, please contact your local Extension Agent or Montana 4-H staff 406.994.3501.
Online payments can be made through FairEntry
Check payments can be made out to: Montana 4-H Foundation (Memo: State Horse show)
Checks can be mailed to: Montana 4-H Center PO Box 173580 Bozeman, MT 59717
Schedule Coming Soon...
For more information regarding the Montana 4-H State Horse Show please contact the Montana 4-H Center at: 406-994-3501
Cottonwood Equine Center Map