2022 Fumigation Training Tour
The MSU Extension Pesticide Education Program (MSU PEP) is offering two fumigant programs targeting pesticide applicators conducting rodent and structural fumigations. This program focuses on the use of aluminum phosphide fumigants. Each program will offer private and commercial pesticide education credits.
Details by Location
Pre-registration has closed. We have limited walk-in spots available. Please show up early for a spot.
- Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2022
- Location: Cottonwood Inn, 54250 US-2, Glasgow, MT 59230
- Registration and Contact Info: Register by March 15 online or contact Amy Bowser at (406) 994-5178 or [email protected]
- Fee: $20 cash or check at the door
Fort Benton, MT
- Date: Thursday, March 24, 2022
- Location: Ag Center, 1205 20th St, Fort Benton, MT 59442
- Registration and Contact Info: Register by March 15 online or contact Amy Bowser at (406) 994-5178 or [email protected].
- Fee: Free
- 8:00 - 8:05 am: Welcome, Dr. Cecil Tharp, MSU Extension Pesticide Education Specialist
- 8:05 - 8:55 am: Fumigation Poisonings and Fumigant Safety, Dr. Cecil Tharp, MSU Extension Pesticide Education Specialist
Cecil Tharp will present information on poisoning related specifically to fumigation, as well as how to safely use fumigants. This will include use and selection of PPE, re-entry intervals, handling, transportation, mixing and loading pesticides, and pesticide toxicity.
- 8:55 - 9:55 am: Rodent Management Using Fumigants, Stephen Vantassel, MDA Vertebrate Pest Specialist
Stephen Vantassel will present on using fumigants properly to manage rodents.
- 9:55 - 10:15 am: Using FMP's for Rodent Fumigations, Stephen Vantassel, MDA Vertebrate Pest Specialist
Stephen Vantassel will discuss using Fumigant Management Plans (FMP’s) for rodent control and management.
- 10:15 - 10:30 am: Break and Refreshments
- 10:30 - 11:30 am: Conducting a Structural Fumigation, Dr. Cecil Tharp, MSU Extension Pesticide
Cecil Tharp will discuss fumigating structures including background, mode of action, application, monitoring, conducting a fumigation, aeration, sealing and exposure period. He will also cover the use of fumigant management plans when conducting a structural fumigation.
- 11:30 - 12:00 pm: Fumigation Jeopardy, Amy Bowser, MSU Extension Pesticide Education Technician
Fumigation Jeopardy will test your knowledge of using fumigants properly including understanding the label, pesticide safety, IPM, fumigant management plans, equipment use, calibration, and laws.
- 12:00 pm: Survey and Adjourned
Pesticide Education Credits Offered
- 10 - Dealer 4
- 32 - Agricultural Vertebrate Pest Control 4
- 35 - Seed Treatment 4
- 38 - Public Health Pest Control 4
- 39 - Demonstration & Research Pest Control 4
- 40 - Ind Inst Struct & Health Related 4
- 45 - School IPM 4
- 54 - Rodent 4
- 60 - Private Agricultural Pest Control 4
Certified Crop Advisor Credits Offered
- Integrated Pest Management - 2