Pesticide News - August 24, 2022
2022 Pest Management Tour offers Last Chance Credit Opportunities for Private Pesticide Applicators across South Central Montana
Cecil Tharp, MSU Extension Pesticide Education Specialist
Figure 1.Montana counties within Private Applicator Training District 5.
The Montana State University (MSU) Pesticide Education Program is offering the 2022 Pest Management Tour for pesticide applicators in Private Applicator Training (PAT) District 5 (Figure 1), from October 3rd – 6th. The tour will cover seven locations in four days with support from MSU Extension agents. Private applicators may attend the morning or afternoon session for three private applicator credits, or all day for six credits. Commercial applicator credits are also available.
Private Applicators within PAT District 5 need six private applicator credits prior to the license expiration date of December 31, 2022. Applicators can review their credit information at https://mtplants.mt.gov/ by selecting “pesticide programs” and “pesticide license search” prior to entering their license number. Applicators can also contact their local MSU Extension office for license information.
Presenters for the tour include Dr. Hayes Goosey, MSU Extension Forage Specialist, on forage pests; Dr. Jane Mangold, MSU Extension Rangeland Weed Specialist, on invasive annual weeds; Dr. Tim Seipel, MSU Extension Cropland Weed Specialist, on integrated pest management and herbicide resistance; Dr. Uta McKelvy, MSU Associate Extension Plant Pathologist, on crop disease updates; Dr. Kevin Wanner, MSU Extension Cropland Entomologist, on alfalfa and pea leaf weevils; and Stephen Vantassel, MDA Vertebrate Pest Specialist, on management of Richardson’s ground squirrels. Presentations vary by locations.
- October 3rd:
- Stanford, MT - Stanford City Hall, 102 Central Avenue, Contact and RSVP: Katie Hatlelid, MSU Extension Judith Basin County Agricultural Agent; Pre-register by October 1st by phone or email: (406) 566-2277 x104; [email protected]. No fee. Lunch provided.
- October 4th:
- Roundup, MT: Central Commons Facility, 610 2nd Street West. Contact and RSVP: Jennifer Solf, MSU Extension Musselshell-Golden Valley County Agriculture Agent. Pre-register by Oct. 1st by phone or email: (406)323-2704, [email protected]. No fee. Lunch provided.
- Billings, MT: 4-H Building – MetraPark, Fairgrounds, 308 6th Avenue North. Contact and RSVP: Roni Baker, MSU Extension Yellowstone County 4-H Agent. Pre-register by September 27th by phone or email: (406) 256-2828, [email protected]. No fee. Lunch provided.
- October 5th
- Joliet, MT: Joliet Community Center, 209 East Front Avenue. Contact and RSVP: Carbon County Extension Office. Pre-register by October 2nd by phone or email: (406) 962-3522; [email protected]. No fee. Lunch provided.
- Columbus, MT: Stillwater County Fairgrounds, 328 East 5th Avenue North. Contact and RSVP: Lee Schmelzer, MSU Extension Stillwater County Agriculture Agent. Pre-register by October 2nd by phone or email: (406) 322-8035; [email protected]. No fee. Lunch provided.
- October 6th
- Big Timber, MT: Sweet Grass County Fairgrounds, 137 Fairgrounds Road. Contact and RSVP: Marc King, MSU Extension Sweet Grass County Agriculture Agent. Pre-register by September 30th by phone or email: (406) 580-2556 (Cell), [email protected]. No fee. Lunch provided.
- Harlowton, MT: IAGT (Formerly the Federated Church), 15 1st Street Northwest. Contact and RSVP: Mandie Reed, MSU Wheatland County Extension Agent. Pre-register by October 3rd by phone or email: (406) 632-4728, [email protected]No fee. Lunch provided.
For More Information
For more information see the detailed program agenda or contact your local MSU Extension office. For any other questions contact Cecil Tharp, Pesticide Education Specialist, at the MSU Pesticide Education Program office (406) 994-5067, [email protected].