FSS partners with both campus departments and central business offices in order to provide excellent and responsive customer service and ensure compliance with MSU, federal and state policies and regulations.
We work as a team with all stakeholders to ensure effective fiscal management. While processes and budget decisions initiate within the departments, FSS executes fiscal tasks, accounting duties and provides accurate, concise reports for the strategic decision makers.
Fiscal Shared Services’ specific duties within MSU business processes:
- Perform monthly reconciliation of budget, expenses and revenue in Banner against a secondary ledger
- Manage encumbrances for transfers, personnel, anticipated A/P and A/R and overhead fees to enable accurate forecasting and budget management
- Generate and deliver standardized reports on a monthly basis to index owner
- Identify and resolve errors; process finance corrections, payroll corrections and JD1s
- Produce adhoc reports as needed
- Provide analysis of trends, variances; provide projections and forecasting; provide fiscal data as needed
- Track Cost Sharing
- UBI reporting
- Review all A/P and resolve any compliance issues with unit
- Create BPAs and submit to UBS/OSP for processing. Follow-up with central offices regarding any issues
- Train units on A/P requirements
- Review Chrome River expense reports for completeness and compliance; monitor aging expenses and approvals; support and educate P-cardholders and travelers on best practices
- Upload internal billing to Banner via xfeed
- Encumber anticipated external revenue
- Complete cash receipt and deposits A/R with Cashier
- Support invoicing processes, as appropriate
- Reconcile and report on known commitments
- Facilitate unit budget development
- Encumber and reconcile payroll based on data provided in EPAFs and salary spreadsheets.
- Time & Effort Reporting