Fall 2023 - Montana State University-American Society for Microbiology Student Chapter
ARTICLE I: NAME & PURPOSE
Section A: Name – The name of this club shall be: American Society for Microbiology Montana State University Student Chapter (MSU-ASM).
Section B: University Affiliation – This club, as an official entity of Montana State University, shall adhere to all rules and regulations of student clubs at Montana State University (MSU) for any and all club activities.
Section C: Purpose – The purpose of this club shall be:
- To promote the community of microbiology graduate and undergraduate students at MSU through mentorship and opportunities at both academic and industrial capacity.
- To provide all students of MSU the opportunity to present research to peers for feedback, make friends, and enjoy outreach activities related to microbiology.
- To serve the Bozeman community through outreach and volunteer activities.
ARTICLE II: ORGANIZATION GOALS
- Promote student interest and further improve the quality of the Microbiology program at Montana State University-Bozeman (MSU).
- Promote and explain the benefits and value of ASM membership to students, postdocs, and early career scientists at MSU.
- Promote K-12 student interest in microbiology through educational outreach activities by MSU-ASM.
- Provide aid and professional development opportunities for students in Microbiology with respect to academic curriculum, research, employment.
- Promote student participation in local, state and national ASM meetings and activities.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP & DUES
Section A: Eligibility - Membership shall be open to any current post-graduate, graduate, or undergraduate student of Montana State University, regardless of educational background. Members shall adhere to a basic set of form and etiquette outlined by the conduct of Montana State University policies. Memberships may be revoked and not returned if these policies are not followed.
Section B: Dues – Chapter dues ($10 per semester) are to be collected from each member within two weeks of joining the club. Members that do not pay their dues will be asked to pay them before further attending meetings or MSU-ASM events. Members may choose to pay their dues annually ($20) rather than on a per semester basis. National membership dues ($35 per year) will also be optionally collected in advance of any member attending ASM events outside of the MSU-ASM student chapter activities.
ARTICLE IV: CLUB ORGANIZATION
Section A: Active Officers - Active officers are responsible for directing and performing the work of the club. All board members can vote.
Section B: Outstanding Board members - No more than 10 individuals will comprise the total number of outstanding board member and active officer positions. All board members can vote. Outstanding board members will be selected by incoming officers or by the request of outgoing board members at the end of each year. Outstanding board members are required to hold at least 1 year of membership with an active office position. They will partake in board meetings, balance decisions made by active officers, and help organize club activities.
Section C: Board members - Composed of active officers (Section A) and outstanding board members (Section B). All board members can vote. Meet regularly and make decisions about the direction of the club and its activities. They may be advised by outstanding board members. Undergraduate students, who have demonstrated active involvement in club membership for at least one year, may be elected by outgoing board members to hold an additional seat on the board for the upcoming year.
Section D: Faculty/staff advisor(s) - As selected annually on a volunteer basis. Advisors provide advice to board members. May partake in any of the meetings.
Section E: Club members - Any members who have paid their dues.
ARTICLE V: ACTIVE OFFICERS
Section A: Officers – The officers shall be a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Outreach Coordinator.
Section B: Eligibility – The majority of officers must be currently enrolled graduate students of Montana State University. With the exception of the undergraduate representative position which must be occupied by an undergraduate student currently enrolled at MSU.
Section C: Election – The officers shall be elected by ballot at the last meeting of the Spring semester by a majority of the vote cast for that office.
Section D: Term – The officers shall serve for one year and their term of office shall begin at the commencement of the fall semester. One individual may preside at their position for no longer than two terms for all the duration. The above officers may be elected for a total of two consecutive terms, after which they shall become ineligible for re-election to the same office for a period of one year following termination of their service in the particular office. However, they may be elected to a new office immediately subsequent to termination of a former office.
Section E: Vacancy – If a vacancy occurs in the office of President, the Vice-President shall assume
the office for the remainder of the term and vacancies in any other office shall be
filled by a special election.
ARTICLE VI: DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section A: President – It shall be the duty of the President to:
- Preside at meetings.
- Plan the agenda for monthly meetings.
- Attend and/or preside over seminars, outreach events, practice presentations.
- Approve or disapprove budget requests with the Treasurer after membership vote (can be overruled by three-fourths majority vote).
- Liaison with other organizations on behalf of the club to secure financial or professional support.
- Functions as tie-breaking vote in the event of a board/officer tie.
- Promote club activities and actively recruit members at every opportunity.
Section B: Vice-President – It shall be the duty of the Vice-President to:
- Preside in the absence of the President.
- Assist the President during seminars, outreach events, practice presentations.
- Fill the role of another office should a vacancy develop.
Section C: Secretary – It shall be the duty of the Secretaries to:
- Record the minutes of all meetings.
- Keep a file of the club’s records.
- Maintain a current roster of membership.
- Issue notices of meetings and conduct the general correspondence of the club.
- Reserve meeting spaces at least two weeks ahead of each meeting.
Section D: Treasurer – It shall be the duty of the Treasureries to:
- Receive all funds and process requests for payment, deposit slip, and officer signature forms.
- Keep an itemized account of all receipts and expenditures and make reports as directed.
- Assist with the planning and execution of fundraisers.
- Make club purchases using club funds.
- Work with MSU Office of Student Organizations on budget applications and reimbursement.
Section E: Outreach Coordinator – It shall be the duty of the Outreach Coordinator(s) to:
- Maintain the social media profile of the MSU-ASM chapter.
- Respond to inquiries from people interested in the club on all social media platforms (primarily Facebook and Instagram).
- Document club activities and report to Loren Gray (Microbiology and Cell Biology Graduate Program Coordinator) and Michael Becker (MSU Director of News Service) important club news to be communicated to the MSU community and beyond.
- Begin initial communications with MSU and non-MSU entities related to outreach activities or inviting outside speakers to present to the club.
- Design and send-out club newsletters via email to communicate club’s upcoming meetings and activities.
Section F: Undergraduate Representative – It shall be the duty of the Undergraduate Representative to:
- Communicate with undergraduate members about any questions, concerns, advice regarding the club. Critical should there be no current undergraduate board members.
- Disseminate club information to the club members.
- Shall promote undergraduate involvement and participation at all club events.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS
Section A: Board Meetings – Regular meetings shall be held regularly based on the board members’ need during the regular school year. At a minimum, the board shall meet prior to a club meeting. Once a year, the board must review the constitution and make any necessary revisions.
Section B: Club Meetings - Meeting with the main club body held at the frequency at the board members’ discretion (once a month is recommended). Meeting dates and times will be determined by polling the student chapter body to maximize meeting attendance.
Section C:Special Meetings – Special meetings may be called by any executive board member and are to be held no later than two weeks after announcement.
ARTICLE VIII: RULES OF ORDER
All MSU-ASM members will be expected to follow these basic rules:
- Be respectful under all circumstances to all members or visitors present during meeting discussions.
- Maintain a professional attitude during all MSU-ASM meetings and events to further our development as public-facing microbiologists.
- Be punctual when attending meetings and events.
- MSU-ASM adheres to the Montana State University’s Non-Discrimination Policy:
- Montana State University’s campuses are committed to providing an environment that emphasizes the dignity and worth of every member of its community and that is free from harassment and discrimination based upon race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran’s status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Such an environment is necessary to a healthy learning, working, and living atmosphere because discrimination and harassment undermine human dignity and the positive connection among all people at our University. Acts of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, and retaliation will be addressed consistent with this policy.
ARTICLE IX: ADVISORS/SPONSORS
Section A: Selection – There shall be a faculty/staff advisor, who will be selected annually on a volunteer basis. Faculty advisor must be an ASM member.
Section B: Duties – The responsibilities of the faculty advisor shall be to:
- Maintain an awareness of the activities and programs sponsored by the MSU-ASM club.
- Meet on a regular basis with the board members to discuss upcoming meetings, activities, goals, and problems of the club.
- Explain and clarify campus policy and procedures that apply to the club.
- Provide direction to board members when necessary regarding meetings, practices, and events.
- Assist the club treasurer(s) in monitoring expenditures, fundraising activities, and corporate sponsorship to maintain an accurate and up-to-date account ledger.
- Facilitate communication between board members and MSU administrators as deemed necessary by the board. Advocate for the club when appropriate.
- Assist and advise interaction with ASM professional activities.
Supporting information: The nearest ASM ambassador is Dr. Samantha Crane, 2023 American Society for Microbiology Young Ambassador to Montana at NIH/NIAID/DIR Rocky Mountain Laboratories, reached at [email protected]. Further approval is needed by the university (MSU) to register the club on an annual basis.
ARTICLE X: AMENDMENTS
Section A: Selection – These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the chapter membership, to be voted on during a board, club, or special meeting.