Join the "Spirit of the West"
Welcome to the "Spirit of the West" Marching Band at Montana State University!
We believe that being a university student is much more than simply attending classes and taking exams. Our campus is vibrant with concerts, athletic events, and a host of activities that will enrich your experience while at MSU.
As a member of the marching band you will be at the heart of the university’s commitment to outreach and engagement. You will perform in dozens of events for tens of thousands of people.
But perhaps more importantly, you will be joining one of the largest and oldest organizations on campus with a tradition of entertainment and excellence.
The marching band is open to all MSU students with high school band experience (or colorguard). We perform at all home Bobcat football games and various other events throughout the semester. A $1500 tuition-reduction scholarship is guaranteed to all members who complete the season in good standing. Cash scholarships are also available!
How to Join
For 2022 ONLY -- The "Spirit of the West" is no longer accepting new members. See you at Bobcat Stadium!
To join for 2023, follow these steps:
The "Spirit of the West" is open to all MSU students--from all majors--who have high school band experience.
- Pre-Register now for the band. This will tell us a little about you and get you on our emails list for news and updates.
- Apply to MSU
- Attend New Student Orientation in the Spring or Summer (to avoid conflicts with band camp)
- Enroll in MUSI 155 "Spirit of the West Marching Band"
- Once you are for sure coming to MSU and are going to join the SotW, complete the membership agreement form (this link will be emailed to you using the account you provide us on the pre-registration form--expect this to come in July)
- Come to marching band camp in August of 2023 (dates TBA). Band try-outs are held during the first few days of camp.
See you in the fall!
Veiw our Members Only Page for more information about the SotW!
The Spirit of the West is dedicated to your growth as a performing musician. Our mission is to enrich the student life of all of our members through positive production of varied and challenging music, drill, and motion. Of course, we cannot accomplish this without the commitment of our members as well. Please review the following points before arriving on campus. All of our members are held to the same standards of practice, participation, and performance.
Link for lab computer/manual entry: