Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Online Protocol Forms
Required Trainings for Personnel on Protocols
|Users Working With||Training||Training Dates 2020|
|All Animal Users and PIs||
a. Animal Biosafety
2. Animal Care at MSU (face to face)
a. Introduction to Animal Care & Use at MSU
4. Protocol specific procedure training and assessment
|March 4 2:00-4:00 pm ARC conf. room
April 9 1:00-3:00 pm Lewis 309
May 6 1:00-3:00 pm Lewis 309
June 3 1:00-3:00 pm Lewis 110
July 1 1:00-3:00 pm Lewis 309
August 5 1:00-3:00 pm Lewis 110
Sept 23 2:00-4:00 pm Lewis 110
Oct 8 10:00-12:00 pm Lewis 110
Nov 4 2:00-4:00 pm Lewis 110
Dec 3 10:00-12:00 pm Lewis 110
Animals housed in the ARC
or animal procedures in a laboratory.
1. Hands on species specific training as applicable
2. Procedure training as needed (e.g. injections, gavage, monitoring, etc.…).
|Nonhuman Primates||1. Safety, risks and zoonoses associated working with NHPs
2. Herpes B virus and exposure kit procedures
3. Tour of NHP facility, review of management and handling techniques and NHP behavior
|Animals housed in JFLF||1. Facility orientation
2. Animal handling as applicable
|PI Additional Requirements||1. Writing a Protocol-Core Elements
2. Protocol Review Procedures
3. PI responsibilities
4. PAM process overview
Prior to preforming any work on animals, the above training curricula must be completed.
Committee Meeting Times:
|IACUC Meeting Dates|
|Located in Norm Asbjornson room 359 unless stated otherwise.|
|January 20, 2021|
|February 17, 2021|
|March 17, 2021|
|April 21, 2021|
|May 19, 2021|
|June 16, 2021|
|July 21, 2021|
|August 18, 2021|
|September 15, 2021|
|October 20, 2021|
|November 17, 2021|
|December 15, 2021|
Activities that Requiring Protocols
- Research, teaching, or testing involving vertebrate animal species at Montana State University-Bozeman
List of Committee Duties
- Review at least once every 6 months MSU's program for humane care and use of animals, using the IACUC Guide as a basis for evaluation.
- Inspect at least once every 6 months all of MSU's animal facilities, using the IACUC Guide as a basis for evaluation.
- Prepare reports of the IACUC evaluations conducted as required by IV.B1. and 2. of the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and submit the reports to the IO.
- Review concerns involving the care and use of animals at MSU.
- Make recommendations to the IO regarding any aspect of MSU's animal program, facilities, or personnel training.
- Review and approve, require modifications in or withhold approval of those components of PHS-conducted or supported activities related to the care and use of animals as specified in IV.C. of the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- Review and approve, require modifications in or withhold approval of proposed significant changes regarding the use of animals in ongoing activities.
- Be authorized to suspend an activity involving animals in accordance with the specifications set forth in IV.C.6 of the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
Committee Mission Statement
The University is committed to the responsible and ethical care and use of animals in research. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee ensures the health, well-being, and humane use of animals in research, following the regulations and guidance of the US Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services.
Montana State University’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee is responsible for reviewing all protocols involving live vertebrate animals for research, training, and testing, and ensures compliance with all applicable laws, policies, and federal regulations. The IACUC ensures that all animals are treated humanely and that research is performed to the highest standards. The IACUC is also responsible to review the program for humane care and use of animals, and to inspect all animal facilities (including satellite facilities) and laboratories, and oversee training and educational programs.