TOPAZ Protocol Research Compliance System
Do not click on My Dashboard on the main page - you will receive a Silverlight error. Go to the appropriate protocol module to select My Dashboard.
If you are new to TOPAZ, please complete the one of the forms below to request to have an account created for you. Once your account has been created you will recieve an email notification letting you know you have access. These requests are usually processed within 48 business hours.
- To access TOPAZ click on the button:
- You will be taken to the Single Sign On (SSO) LOGIN page.
- Log in with your NetID and Password.
- For individuals new to MSU, you will need to request access to TOPAZ before being able to login into TOPAZ. Please complete the appropiate form at Request to be Added to TOPAZ.
- You do not need Silverlight software to run TOPAZ.
- Do not click on My Dashboard on the main page - you will receive a Silverlight error. Go to the appropriate protocol module to select My Dashboard.
- TOPAZ does not have an auto-save feature. Save after every section.
- You will lose any information added, if you do not save.
- Do not hit “X” or any arrows (e.g. back button) on the web browser’s tool bar. The only time you can hit “X” is on pop-up or external windows.
Click the appropriate protocol module under the Compliance menu:
- Click on the Protocols button and select one of the following options:
- New protocol requests: To create and begin work on a new protocol or a renewal protocol, click the Protocols icon, select “Create Original Protocol” and select the appropriate protocol form.
- Amendments: To create and begin work on an amendment for an already approved protocol in TOPAZ, click the Protocols icon and select “Create Amendment Protocol”. Then you will select the protocol that you want to submit an amendment for.
- Annual Renewals: To create and begin work on an annual renewal for a protocol that is approved in TOPAZ, click the Protocols icon and select “Create Renewal Protocol”. Select the protocol for annual renewal.
- I am getting an error when I try to log into Topaz. What should I do?
- Try reloading the page in your browser.
- Renavigate to this Topaz login page and try again.
- Clear your browser cache.
- I am getting a Silverlight error when I click on My Dashboard on the main page. What
should I do?
- This is a system error and being worked on. Click on the appropriate protocol module (Animal Protocols, Human Protocols, Biosafety Protocols) from there you can select My Dashboard.
- How do I see my protocols?
- Or select the Protocols icon and select “Open Approved Protocols”, and all protocols you are authorized to view will be in the list.
- Why does my TOPAZ start page look different than my PI’s?
- TOPAZ is a role dependent application, which means based on your role, you will have different icons.
- What is my protocol number?
- Protocols are automatically assigned a reference number in TOPAZ once you begin working on it. The protocol number is assigned once your protocol has been approved.
- Where can I find the protocol number and approval dates for my protocol?
- The information button at the top left. This is an information sheet for the protocol and displays all information regarding the protocol.
- I can see my protocol, but why can’t I edit it?
- Click the information button to check the status of your protocol. If you have submitted it, then the protocol is in review process. If you need to make changes, you will need to wait for the protocol to be returned.
- Why aren’t the appropriate lab staff receiving emails about the status of my protocol?
- Check the “protocol associates” section to see if you have indicated that certain lab staff should be “key associates” and be receiving email notifications regarding your protocol.
- Why can’t my lab staff make changes to my protocol?
- Check to see if you have indicated that the certain lab staff are “Co-Investigators” for the protocol in the “protocol associates” section. Only the PI, Co-Investigators, Author and Creator can edit an existing protocol.
- Committee Integration – All PI protocols from the different compliance committees will appear on the same PI dashboard. In addition, protocols from different committees can be linked if both pertain to the same research project.
- Single Sign-On – MSU NetIDs and passwords will be used for TOPAZ sign-on and CITI sign-on.
- Learning Management System – All individuals associated with projects requiring a committee protocol have been uploaded to TOPAZ’s Learning Management System. MSU, CITI and in-house training records are maintained on TOPAZ and associated with each individual. This learning management system eliminates the “tracking down” of training records by the PI.
- Improved Review Process – TOPAZ allows PIs to access their protocols and view the history, track changes, and review details including comments, assignments and PI responses. Review details can be seen throughout the life of the protocol.
- Automated Reminders – Automated messages will be generated for approvals, protocol reviews, and committee decisions.
- Integrated Amendments/Modifications – Amendments/Modifications are integrated and time stamped onto the original protocol, allowing for quicker amendments/modifications, reducing confusion, duplicative responses, and protocol discrepancies.
- Protocol Cloning Capabilities – Protocols can be copied to generate a renewal if a protocol is expiring or if a PI does not want to “start from scratch” on a new protocol. This allows pertinent information such as personnel and training records to be transferred over to the new protocol.
- Embedded Annual Renewals – Annual renewals will be integrated into the original protocol on TOPAZ. This eliminates paper based annual renewals that have been used.
If you need further assistance, please contact the Training and Development Coordinator, Nicole Soll, [email protected], (406) 994-6732.