Rental Shop Policies
Eligibility and Pricing
- MSU Students, faculty, staff, and alumni (who have purchased an alumni membership)
are eligible to rent equipment.
- We are unable to rent to community members who have no affiliation to MSU at this time.
- Renting as part of an MSU-Affiliated Group? Fill out this short survey to fill out a rental request and pay via inter-departmental transfer.
- Student Pricing is available to those who have paid the ASMSU activity fee for the current semester.
This includes students taking at least 7 credits or those taking fewer credits that
have opted to pay these fees separately (at the cashier's windows in Montana Hall).
- Student Summer Membership: Continuing students who are not taking summer classes but would like to rent at the student price must purchase a student summer membership for $8. Please call us at 406-994-3621 to pay for your membership.
- MSU Alumni may purchase an Alumni Membership to the Outdoor Recreation Program for $75 per year in order to be able to rent equipment, take clinics, or use the bike/ski shop. Please call us at 406-994-3621 to pay for your membership.
Faculty, Staff, and Alumni Members are eligible to rent at the non-student rate.
- MSU Students, faculty, staff, and alumni (who have purchased an alumni membership) are eligible to rent equipment.
Rental Rates: The prices you see listed are the daily rate for an item. All gear must be returned by 5:00pm for raft orders and 6:00pm for all other rentals to avoid late fees.
- Weekends: Equipment rented from Friday to Monday will be a 3-day rental.
- Holiday rates: Vary, please see announcements or call the shop.
General Rental Policies
- All rentals must be reserved in advance and paid for with a credit card or Catcard through our online reservation portal. Cash will not be accepted.
- Customers will be asked to sign their rental agreement online at the time of reservation and payment. A copy will be emailed to them.
- At the time of reservation, customers may choose to provide a pick up time slot. If you don’t input this information when you are making your reservation, you may need to wait longer for our staff to prep your order for pickup.
- Customers can return their gear on the designated day at any time between 10am and 6pm (5pm for raft orders).
- Staff members cannot help tie down gear to vehicles. Customers should come prepared to do so themselves.
- Customers should check over their gear before loading up to ensure everything is present and in good repair.
- Customers must not abandon their gear. If a customer abandons their gear without notifying an ORP staff member, they will be charged a $50 fee.
- Cancellations made 7 days or more prior to pick-up date will receive a 100% refund.
- Cancellations made between six and two days of pick-up date will receive a 75% refund if 100% of it was previously paid for. No refunds will be issued for the 25% deposit paid for at the time of reservation.
- No refunds for cancellation less than 48 hours before rental period.
- There are no refunds for illness, weather, early returns or non-usage. Please plan rentals accordingly.
- Refunds will be given in the form of payment you initially paid in.
- Renters also have the option to take a refund in the form of “shop credit,” which can be used to pay for any Outdoor Recreation Program rental, class, or clinic.
1. Renter assumes sole liability for any injuries or damages sustained by renter and/or to others while using this equipment. I hereby agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless ASMSU, Rec Sports and Montana State University, its trustees, officers, agents, employees, students, and volunteers from and against all liability claims, demands, losses, damages and expenses of every kind and description to persons (including death) or property associated with use of this rented equipment.
2. Renter assumes the risk of any defect in design or use of equipment.
3. Renter agrees to accept responsibility of examining equipment prior to use, finding it suitable to their needs and in good condition.
4. Equipment is acknowledged to be in operable condition. The Outdoor Recreation Program (ORP) is not responsible for incidental or consequential damages caused by delays or user abuse.
5. I agree that if I lose or damage this equipment, I am responsible for repair or replacement costs.
6. I understand that Outdoor Recreation Program staff is responsible for assigning repair/replacement charges. Renter is responsible for full replacement costs associated with lost, damaged, or stolen equipment.
7. Rental fees are non-refundable and subject to official cancellation policy, not dependent on whether equipment was used or not.
8. Reservations: Advanced reservation deposit must be paid in full at the time reservation. Cancellations are subject to ASMSU/Rec Sports ORP official cancellation policy. Cancellations less than 2 full days from reservation will receive no refund. 1 week prior to pick-up times applies to Raft Rental Packages. I acknowledge that I am required to return rental equipment during business hours between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm on the due date indicated. ASMSU/Rec Sports ORP is not responsible for equipment left during non-business hours; an additional charge of $50 will be assessed for equipment left outside during closed hours. All rafting equipment is due by 4:00 pm on the due date indicated. I understand I will be charged the full daily rental rate plus a late fee of $2.00 for each day the rented item is late. If equipment is 10 days or more late, the ORP may file criminal charges under Montana Statute 45-6-309.
9. Cleaning/Repair: I understand the ASMSU ORP may assess a fee (small repairs: $5, large repairs: $25, or cost of replacement) for cleaning or minor repairs of equipment at its discretion. I agree to pay this fee if deemed applicable by ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program.
10. Refunds will not be granted due to lack of use of equipment, early returns or inclement weather conditions. Please plan accordingly.
11. All rental items are loaded into or on to private vehicles at the vehicles owner's own risk. ASMSU/Rec Sports ORP is not responsible for any damage to vehicles related to rental items being attached to the vehicle on or off of ASMSU/Rec Sports ORP premises.
I authorize Rec Sports Outdoor Recreation Program to charge my Cat Card for any late fees, damage and repair costs, replacement costs, and cleaning.