Similar to other more traditional forms of communication, social media is most effective when it is rooted in strategy. While social media may seem like an easy and low-cost way to communicate with your audience, it requires ample resources to maintain effective and engaging social media accounts. Before creating a social media account, discuss with your team if you have enough resources to develop creative and engaging content ideas, create and maintain a social media calendar, respond to direct messages, monitor comments, research the latest trends, and stay up-to-date on the frequent changes on the platforms. At all times, a minimum of two people and a maximum of four people within your unit should have access to the social media account(s).
Please consider the in-depth efforts that social media requires prior to creating an account. If you do not have the resources to start a social media channel but still have a message you need to communicate, contact [email protected] and University Communications may be able to recommend other communication methods that will be more effective and less time-consuming.
If you are thinking of starting a social media channel to represent a unit of Montana State University, please consider the following questions:
- Do you need a new social media account or do you want a social media account?
- What are you hoping to accomplish by starting an account?
- What is the message or messages you are trying to convey?
- Is my message time-sensitive? If so, reconsider using other communication methods.
- Is social media the best way, or the only way, to communicate this message?
- Are there other ways to communicate this message? If so, how will these communication methods work together to achieve the same goal?
- Have you mastered other communication methods, or other existing accounts, before adding an additional communication outlet?
- Who is your audience?
- Does your audience use the platform you’re considering joining?
- Why should your audience follow you?
- What should your audience expect to gain from following you?
- Do you have the resources it takes to start a social media channel?
- How you will measure success for your channel?
- How will you adjust your strategy based on these measurements?
- What is the true intended purpose of the platform you are considering joining?
- Do you have the resources to develop content specifically for the platform?
- Do you have at least two people within your unit who will have access to the account at all times?