Team Leaders are undergraduate MSU students who have served at least two (2) semesters as a Surge Mentor and have been promoted to a leadership role within the program. In addition to maintaining their own mentoring cohort in a section of University Seminar, Team Leaders receive an additional stipend to also serve as a leader to new Surge Mentors as they learn their role within the program.
Team Leader duties include:
- Maintain their own Surge Mentor role with a group of mentees in a University Seminar.
- Serving as a leader and mentor for a team of approximately 10 new Surge Mentors.
- Contribute to the training and support of fellow Surge Mentors.
- Monitor progress and needs or concerns of their team of Surge Mentors.
- Monitor and provide feedback on their team's weekly journal entry submissions.
- Hold 2 hours per week of office hours in the Surge office.
- Meet individually with each member of their team at least once a semester.
- Attend regular meetings with Surge staff, Seminar partners, and other Team Leaders.
- Provide input and feedback on improving the Surge Mentor experience.
Sophomore Surge Team Leaders
Katherine Kalebich: Psychology, US 101
Since taking on the Sophomore Surge Mentor role, I’ve gained so much experience and skill in leadership. Now, I’ve decided to take on the Team Leader role and I couldn’t be more excited! My time at MSU has taught me how to time manage and be independent and still responsible (two skills I think all people should develop). College can be a bit intimidating but it's still a lot of fun and provides you with so many life lessons If you should need any help, there is no shortage of help or resources to get you through it. I’ve really stepped outside of my comfort zone since joining Surge and I think this has made me all the more successful in my time at MSU. This program is really just one giant family and we all want nothing more than for everyone to succeed, and I think that might just be my favorite part about Surge.
I’m really excited to meet my mentees and all of the mentors who are in the program this year… it will be nice to see people and connect again after this wild year of being in quarantine!
Tanner Lyle: Business Finance, BGEN 104
Having served as a Surge Mentor during the 2020-2021 academic year, I am thrilled for the opportunity to become a Team Leader during the 2021-2022 academic year. I believe that a positive college experience is largely about forming relationships with friends, with tutors, with professors, and with mentors. It is not surprising that my favorite part about this program is the relationship building with your mentees, as well as with the other mentors. The transition to college can be difficult, and it is important to support those struggling and also to encourage those who are thriving. Moving forward, I am excited to grow my own leadership and communication skills, and I believe this program is the perfect place to do so.
We are currently accepting 2021-2022 Team Leader applications.
Apply to be a Fall 2021 Team Leader:
denotes required fields.
Renne Library 217
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717
email: [email protected]