Bridges to the Baccalaureate
"Bridges" is a summer enrichment program for students from Montana's two-year colleges. The program helps tribal college and community college students prepare to transfer into biomedical and other health science fields at MSU-Bozeman. Participants spend eight weeks at the MSU-Bozeman campus gaining hands-on experience in biomedical/health science research alongside dedicated faculty and their research teams. The partner two-year colleges on the Bridges program are Aaniiih Nakoda College, Gallatin College-MSU, Great Falls College-MSU, and Little Bighorn College.
Bridges is coordinated through the American Indian Research Opportunities (AIRO) consortium, and is funded by the National Institutes of Health (www.nih.gov).
The program’s goals are to:
- Build a seamless educational experience between two-year community and tribal colleges and MSU-Bozeman.
- Increase the number of American Indian and other underrepresented minority students, and low-income/first-generation college students who successfully transfer from two-year colleges to MSU-Bozeman in the field of biomedical science, which is the application of science and technology to improve public health and medicine.
Program benefits include:
- Work in world-class research labs and earn $3,600 for the eight-week internship.
- Housing and meals are provided on campus.
- Students are reimbursed for their round-trip mileage to/from Bozeman. (The program will cover bus transportation for students who do not bring a vehicle.)
- Students who bring their own vehicles are provided free campus parking passes for the summer.
- Preparation and practice in laboratory research methodology and daily, individualized math instruction help prepare students for success in the biomedical science field.
- Students present their research at an MSU-Bridges research celebration at the conclusion of the program.
- Transfer preparation, professional development training, and student mentoring are provided throughout the summer.
The dates of the 2020 Bridges to the Baccalaureate ("Bridges") program are MAY 26 (student arrival day) to JULY 24, 2020.
Please complete the online application below. Alternatively, the application can be downloaded, printed, and mailed to the address below.
Montana State University
American Indian Research Opportunities
PO Box 173820
Bozeman, MT 59717-3820
ATTN: Bridges Program
Application deadline is February 28, 2020.
For questions, contact Amy Stix at firstname.lastname@example.org, 406-994-5567.